quick query about away rotations (yes, again!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secretasianman

Glorified Enabler
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the question of whether or not to do away rotations has been beaten to death. Are there any of you residents/attendings here that did not do an away in med school, and were questioned about it on the interview circuit or felt penalized for not doing one?

Members don't see this ad.

I know the question of whether or not to do away rotations has been beaten to death. Are there any of you residents/attendings here that did not do an away in med school, and were questioned about it on the interview circuit or felt penalized for not doing one?

Didn't do one (at anyplace I interviewed, that is) and nobody cared. At all.

i did an away at a program i really wanted to go to, and ended up matching there.

you are going to get a lot of different answers -- to tell you the truth, there is no one right way to do it. some people will say yes do it, some people will say it's a horrible idea.

i say, if there is one particular program that you REALLY love, and that you are not sure of your chances, then you should consider doing an away IF AND ONLY IF you think you look just as impressive (or more impressive) in person as on paper. You can judge that by looking at your test scores vs your rotation evaluations. I

Members don't see this ad :)
rotations are also great for deciding a place isn't for you. when i started my rotations i was sure two of the places were going to be number one and two. after being there, i didn't think either was right for me. they weren't bad programs at all, just not the right match. one i ended up ranking one third and the other like eighth (i can't remember my final rank list right now). if i had known now what i knew then i would have rotated at my real number one where i matched. sometimes the first hand knowledge of a place is priceless.