Quick Question About Blood Samples

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eventualeventer

Medical Tire Fire
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a stupid question about running chem panels -- if a test can be run on serum OR plasma, and the blood sample is incompletely anticoagulated/partially clotted (due to improper sample handling), can you still spin it down and use the supernatant?

ETA: I apologize if this is considered to be soliciting veterinary advice; I will ask the appropriate real-life people before trying this on anyone's expensive machine, just curious for tonight.
 
Our machine is finicky, so whenever it looks like a sample is not 100% separated we take the supernatant and spin it again in the microcentrifuge, which seems to do the trick most of the time.
 
I think the question has more to do with the sample not being completely plasma and not being completely serum since it was partially clotted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would think if it can use either/or then what it's basing the test on isn't unique to either medium and thus the test could be run on an incompletely clotted sample with just regular centrifugation.