quick question about medical school transcripts

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by xaelia, Aug 1, 2006.

1. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    I just had a quick question about medical school transcripts - I don't know how it works at other schools, but our official transcript just shows satisfactory completion for each quarter of enrollment, not individual course or clerkship grades. I can print out basic science and clerkship grades from our intranet, but that's obviously not official in any sense. I was planning on just submitting the generic enrollment official transcript and noting any clerkship or basic science grades of note on my CAS application. They'll get full clerkship grades and narratives with my MSPE on Nov. 1st.

Is this pretty much what other folks are doing, or should I include an unofficial print-out of my grades in addition to the transcript?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pastrami King

Pastrami King Member
    7+ Year Member

What an odd system. Have you checked this with your dean's/registrar's office? At the very least, they should print out your grades on official letterhead and put it in a signed envelope.

4. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    Yeah, when I had to send in a transcript for my away rotation application I checked with our Dean's office, and they just told me to print it off the intranet - not as formal a process as the CAS, so I didn't think it would matter.

But, yeah, the transcript request goes through the registrar for the university, and pretty much every quarter I'm just registered for "Clinical Medicine 660X" or whatever, and everyone receives satisfactory on their transcript in it regardless of their coursework performance.

I guess if this is the exception, I should probably include more documentation, even if it's unofficial.

5. Jokestr

Jokestr Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Based on what I understand from your question, I think the answer is that you should definitely send the official form through your registrar's office. If this does not have your grades on it, that's ok, as "satisfactory" grades or pass fail systems are becoming more common in today's med schools. My med school had a similar system, with neither grades nor class rank. It was only noted whether or not we were AOA. This would be important to include on your official transcript, along with your CAS. Otherwise, as you stated, your scores will probably be reflected in your Dean's letter on Nov. 1st. Good luck