Jun 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Does every CAPTE school require PTCAS for the application process? I had somewhat of a rough start and had to retake a lot of courses over the years... While putting grades into PTCAS I realized that I basically deflated my dream of becoming a PT by acting like a moron my first few years of school. (I'm 25) The averaging of the retaken courses really kills my GPA, and if every school requires PTCAS do I have any other options? I live in Michigan, and I'm pretty much willing to go anywhere in the US.

Phyline

2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2014
NYC
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Not every school uses PTCAS. APTA website has a list of all programs, including non-PTCAS.

Not every school uses the GPA that PTCAS calculates, for that matter.

Sep 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Does every CAPTE school require PTCAS for the application process? I had somewhat of a rough start and had to retake a lot of courses over the years... While putting grades into PTCAS I realized that I basically deflated my dream of becoming a PT by acting like a moron my first few years of school. (I'm 25) The averaging of the retaken courses really kills my GPA, and if every school requires PTCAS do I have any other options? I live in Michigan, and I'm pretty much willing to go anywhere in the US.
Hi, don't give up hope. You need to spend a lot of time researching schools, really. It's not so much a PTCAS issue as a matter of which GPA is used. A lot of schools look at Cumulative + Pre-reqs. Some schools look at Last 60, Last 90 hours and Pre-reqs, in which case I imagine your GPA will be much stronger. Do you know what your Cgpa is vs your pre/req gpa and your last 60?

starrsgirl

7+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2010
Status
Physical Therapist
Many of us have been in your shoes. Sit down and figure out your GPAs as mentioned above. Then calculate how many classes/credits it will take you to improve any of those GPAs that need a boost. That will give you a realistic idea on how feasible PT school application is.