quick question about sympathetic nervous system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

auroraboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to Princeton science workbook sympathetic nervous system does not innervate skeletal muscles..Is this really true?

What I understood was that sympathetic nervous system is responsible for 'Flight, Fight, Fright'
Would these not require skeletal muscles?

On second thought, Muscle cells are always paired with ACh, never with norepinephrine ... does this mean sympathetic nervous system only controls cardiac/smooth muscles?

Could someone please care to explain?

Members don't see this ad.

The sympathic system is part of your autonomic nervous system. The ANS ennervates smooth muscle, cardiac muscle and glands. The somatic nervous system ennervates skeletal muscle. You may be thinking about the blood vessels that provide nutrients to the skeletal muscle. The sympathetic system is going affect the smooth muscle in the blood vessels and allow vessels to dilate thus providing more glucose/oxygen to the skeletal muscle. It doesn't not ennervate the skeletal muscle itself.

Remember: skeletal muscle is voluntary (i.e. walking, running) in its action. Everything the ANS controls is involuntary (heartbeat, digestion) in action.

That makes sense...I was confusing myself with sympathetic/parasympathetic systems,

Thanks!

According to Princeton science workbook sympathetic nervous system does not innervate skeletal muscles..Is this really true?

What I understood was that sympathetic nervous system is responsible for 'Flight, Fight, Fright'
Would these not require skeletal muscles?

On second thought, Muscle cells are always paired with ACh, never with norepinephrine ... does this mean sympathetic nervous system only controls cardiac/smooth muscles?

Could someone please care to explain?

Sympathetics and Parasympathetics don't innervate skeletal muscles.