Quick question for PrePharm Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

COPBound

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am new to Pre Pharm. I am in my first semester of Pre Pharm classes. Untill the other day I never knew of all the different roads someone with a PharmD can take after school. I always assumed it was behind a counter at a walgreens or smiths, etc. I knew there were other areas but no one really talks about them here so I never knew how deep it goes. While I was on the Pharmacy page the other day and a lady posted a thread about a day in the life of a nuclear pharmacist. After reading that post I started to do some research on nuclear pharmacy and found a lot of very interesting information. I believe I have now found the road I would like to pursue once I gain my PharmD. My question is this. How many of you Pre Pharm students have thought about this field? Do most of you just look at getting a job with a local (chain or not) pharmacy? It seems that the salary is about the same. I just feel like I would be doing more to help the sick as a nuclear pharmacist then as a community pharmacist. What are your takes on this?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're in your first year of pre-pharm, I think you should just take the time to do well in your classes before trying to commit to a certain pharmacy field. Also, you should definitely look into more than just one field before deciding that that one is the right one for you.

Also, are you sure that you would feel like you're directly helping the sick when you never get to really see the patients themselves?

If you're in your first year of pre-pharm, I think you should just take the time to do well in your classes before trying to commit to a certain pharmacy field. Also, you should definitely look into more than just one field before deciding that that one is the right one for you.

Also, are you sure that you would feel like you're directly helping the sick when you never get to really see the patients themselves?

I TOTALLY agree with the above post. Since you are in your first semester as a pre-Pharm student all you need to do is concentrate on getting excellent grades to get into Pharmacy school. Why? Your mind will change several times because you have not looked at all the options in pharmacy. If your mind is made up about pharmacy, fine...my advise is dont make up your mind yet about where exactly in pharmacy you want to settle in. Start making that decision in your P1 year. And even then, your mind may change several times too;-)