Quick question from a med school slacker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my med school class was divided into pairs to do a joint write-up of a patient interview. I emailed my partner recently to ask her when she'd like to meet to work on the paper...but she'd already written it up, and it looks really good. So this is fine by me, but I feel bad being a non-contributing partner and a slacker and getting off with no work.

If you were in this situation, would you just thank the partner for doing it and move on (we're both supposed to turn in the same paper)? I can't really think of any other options (besides writing a completely separate paper on my own, which would seem kind of unnecessary and maybe even offensive)...but I feel bad getting a reputation for being the slacker that I am, since this kind of thing tends to happen to me (I wait til the last minute and someone else has already done much of the work). :( :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

dont be ridiculous, your partner had just as much responsibility in contacting you before completing the task herself. be thankful for the extra free time and yes move on!

scootad. said:
dont be ridiculous, your partner had just as much responsibility in contacting you before completing the task herself. be thankful for the extra free time and yes move on!

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought...guess I tend to fall into a guilt complex a little too easily! Thanks...

Members don't see this ad :)
closertofine said:
So my med school class was divided into pairs to do a joint write-up of a patient interview. I emailed my partner recently to ask her when she'd like to meet to work on the paper...but she'd already written it up, and it looks really good. So this is fine by me, but I feel bad being a non-contributing partner and a slacker and getting off with no work.

If you were in this situation, would you just thank the partner for doing it and move on (we're both supposed to turn in the same paper)? I can't really think of any other options (besides writing a completely separate paper on my own, which would seem kind of unnecessary and maybe even offensive)...but I feel bad getting a reputation for being the slacker that I am, since this kind of thing tends to happen to me (I wait til the last minute and someone else has already done much of the work). :( :confused:

this totally sounds like the O.C. (the last episode before thanksgiving.) the new girl did all of the assignments because she thought Ryan was a dumb o.c. jock. he ended up telling the teacher, who gave them both extra work. so based on my all-time favorite show, you should thank your partner for doing the assignment and move on.

p.s. if there are any fellow o.c. watchers reading this, what do you think of the new characters?

closertofine said:
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought...guess I tend to fall into a guilt complex a little too easily! Thanks...

Yeah, enjoy the free time. But you might want to make an issue of it anyway. Make a point that you were more than willing to do your share and that you don't really appreciate it and that you owe her nothing. If you don't you may find she goes around complaining that she "had to" do all the work and that you're a dead beat. Your reputation is important. Besides, she probably thought you were a screw-up and that your contribution would drag her down. I wouldn't be too grateful. ;)

did you wait a really long time to e mail her? or not reply to her emails to you? bc hat might make you a slacker. if you contacted her within an appropriate amount of time, and if she had made no prior effect to contact you, then she's just weird. It doesnt really sound like its a big deal, but if you're going to be paiired up with her again, I'd definitely explain to her that its customary to consult your fellow group members before opting to complete an assignment in your own.

my alias said:
did you wait a really long time to e mail her? or not reply to her emails to you? bc hat might make you a slacker. if you contacted her within an appropriate amount of time, and if she had made no prior effect to contact you, then she's just weird. It doesnt really sound like its a big deal, but if you're going to be paiired up with her again, I'd definitely explain to her that its customary to consult your fellow group members before opting to complete an assignment in your own.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm worried about...we both said we'd work on it a little over Thanksgiving break, but she had the only notes from the session (which was stupid of me not to copy them before the break). So I emailed her about 3 days before the project was due (only like a 4-page paper), and a lot of my classmates are still working on it (it's due on Thursday)...so I guess it was pretty late when I emailed.

But she hadn't made any contact with me either...I guess it's not a big deal in general, though...I do just feel bad and wonder if my "reputation" will be that of a slacker.

I did email her back, thanking her for doing the assignment but nicely saying that I would have been happy to help with it...not sure how well that will explain things...

It's probably fine. I wouldn't worry about it. But it is something to consider in future. Good luck. :)

im sure it's fine too. i've found that lots of people in medical school are kind of up tight about working in groups with people they don't know. i've seen the situation many times with classmates where someone freaks out and does the project alone bc they didn't trust the people they were working with. i try to make it a policy to be kind of proactive about finding a time to work on the project together, or about dividing the responsibility. I find it makes my group mates a little bit more at ease about working with someone they don't know. i wouldn't worry about it, just something to keep in mind in the future.

my alias said:
i've found that lots of people in medical school are kind of up tight about working in groups with people they don't know.

ohh, this is so true. SO TRUE! but then, people in med school are uptight in general :)