Quick question in regards to step1 score and surgery residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LMBLBM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my step 1 score (212).

I was looking at chart 6 of this pdf file, and it seems like no one matched with the step score below 220.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

I always had my mind set on surgery, and it seems like I have to give up on matching into surgery.
Am I interpreting the chart 6 wrong? Or is it the time for me to be realistic and move on?

Members don't see this ad.

It would help if you read the document you are quoting. "Chart 6 displays the Step 1 scores for matched U.S. seniors (top panel) and independent applicants (bottom panel) by specialty. The horizontal bars are the median values for successful applicants and the vertical lines show the interquartile ranges (the range of scores for applicants excluding the top and bottom quarters of the distribution). Scores generally are higher for the more competitive specialties, but there is substantial overlap when specialties are compared."

The more relevant chart is GS-3 located on page 101. You will find that in this data set, 160 applicants applied with between a 211 and a 220. 129 of them matched successfully. If you look at 201-210, it drops to 57 matched out of 90.

Reactions: 2 users