Quick Question that many of you might have

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question. What exactly is second look? I am assuming that it is another chance to go up to the school (which you have been accepted to?) so you can make your final decission on attending there. Is that correct?

My second question is: Do you have to go?

I just realized that I know VERY little about this whole process. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

You're exactly right--second look weekend is just a chance to check out the school again, meet potential classmates, etc. It's mainly useful for those who haven't made a firm decision about which school to attend, although if you're really psyched about a particular school, it's kind of fun to go. But it's not mandatory at all.

The type of activities planned really depend on the school. I remember UC Davis had an informal barbecue last year with some faculty in attendance. UCLA has a more structured second look weekend that involves a few presentations, a tour of the hospital, going out on the town with groups of first-year students, small group PBL (problem-based learning) sessions, etc.