Quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giovanotto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Writing my secondaries:

True or false: All osteopathic medical schools focus on patient-centered instead of disease-centered care. Moreover, they focus on primary care medicine.

Are there osteopathic medical schools that are an exception to this?

I don't want to say something that is false on my secondaries. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Osteopathic medicine likes to tout itself as more patient-centered, and yes, they do produce more family docs.

But your premise that they focus on patient centered and not disease centered isn't fully accurate, nor is it allowing the similarities between osteopathic and allopathic (pssst - truth is DO's are just MDs with hands-on biomechanical training, not a new and improved model of silly regular doctors)

Osteopathic medicine likes to tout itself as more patient-centered, and yes, they do produce more family docs.

But your premise that they focus on patient centered and not disease centered isn't fully accurate, nor is it allowing the similarities between osteopathic and allopathic (pssst - truth is DO's are just MDs with hands-on biomechanical training, not a new and improved model of silly regular doctors)

For the sake of an introduction to a secondary though, does it work? I'm mostly concerned with the accuracy of "All" versus "Some".

Meaning, if we assume that my assumption of DO = patient-centered care is TRUE, is the rest of my statement also true?
Note: I don't say that DO is patient centered and MD is not. I am only referring to DO.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is that it is implied, although not stated. Write about yourself or why you want to go to that school. Don't try to explain osteopathic treatment to someone who teaches it. Focus on what you hope to do, what you like about the school and why you decided to apply there

Reactions: 1 user
Boo, too late DocWinter! I just submitted that secondary that way. Anyway, it's not like I didn't do what you suggested. That was only the intro. The point I was trying to make is that I am lucky that all DO schools are patient centered since I want to practice primary care. However, what makes X school stand out to me is........ <<< How I did it.

I have a book on Osteopathic Medicine, but I have yet to finish it so I will not try to explain anything in too much detail. The book describes how Dr. A.T. Still trained with many different styles of medicine through multiple apprenticeships to find a method that works better than just treating the symptoms of an illness. His primary goal was not necessarily to be more "patient centered", but to treat and prevent illnesses that would directly benefit the patient in a better, more manageable manner. His work is amazing and quite unbelievable. Some of the things they did back in those days are baffling to me. Hydropathy, bloodletting, bodily fluid mechanics, OMM, etc. Osteopathic medicine has better suited the preventative style of medicine as opposed to treating the symptoms of disease, because that was the approach that was necessary to take in order to fulfill their primary mission as Osteopathic Physicians. Osteopathic Physicians make up the majority of primary care, but are not directly focused on one single type of treatment.

Reactions: 1 user