Quick Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BAJackson16

Full Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many ml of 10 M NaOH will take to completely titrate 3ml of 1M H3PO4?

Do I just use N1V1=N2V2
How does titration differ from dilution and neutralization?
 
I think that for this problem, titration is equivalent to neutralization. I would choose to do it using N1V1=N2V2 as you said.
 
I think you are dealing with a strong base with a polyprotic acid with 3 acidic hydrogens.

so if you do a M1V1 = M2V2 you get, (10M)(V1) = (1M)(1mL)
therefore, V1=0.3mL

that is to neutralize one of the acidic hydrogens, so (3)(0.3mL)=0.9mL

is that the correct answer?
 
yes that is what I was thinking...just making sure. Thanks for the help. I didnt have an answer for that one...just found that question in chem book
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yea thats the same as using N1V1=N2V2

with this equation you set it up as follows:
(10 N NaOH)(X mL) = (3 N H3PO4)(3 mL)

and then when rearranging, you get 9/10 = 0.9 mL, so same answer as you got sinned.
 
ems5184 said:
yea thats the same as using N1V1=N2V2

with this equation you set it up as follows:
(10 N NaOH)(X mL) = (3 N H3PO4)(3 mL)

and then when rearranging, you get 9/10 = 0.9 mL, so same answer as you got sinned.

😉