• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

litldime

D2
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I am going to be applying this May for the 2008 cycle. I will also be graduating this spring. :) With that said, I am about to apply for a job with a research company that will have me travelling around the country to collect data. How will this work will interviews? When asked to interview, do they give you a choice of dates? do you pick? what days are interviews held? mon-fri only? Just wondering.
All opinions and thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
-ld

W

wizziefiend

I am going to be applying this May for the 2008 cycle. I will also be graduating this spring. :) With that said, I am about to apply for a job with a research company that will have me travelling around the country to collect data. How will this work will interviews? When asked to interview, do they give you a choice of dates? do you pick? what days are interviews held? mon-fri only? Just wondering.
All opinions and thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
-ld

You get to pick...usually from like 10 dates or so. I had an interview every day of the M-F work week. Usually schedule them about 1 month-3 months in advance.

good luck, enjoy the traveling

OregonMed

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Just so you know, they usually send out interview letters in batches. Usually the letter says to call, and many of the people will respond the very next day. If your going to be traveling make sure that you will be able to get your mail. You may want to have it sent to an address of some one who would be willing to sift through it for you and inform you of any deadlines. Otherwise you could be getting letter's week's late and by then many of the days will be filled.

About the Ads

eleminopee

I've got 2 infractions!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
some schools, like louisville assigns you an interview date

Lemming

Hello
10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Oregon
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Well, I'm going to give you the flip-side of the latter opinions. I work in a job that requires frequent overnight travel. If my company was not disorganized and lax, they would have realized long ago that my travels to interviews (in addition to night classes for prereqs) was really affecting my performance and gotten rid of me long ago. I still try to work my schedule around work as much as possible, but a couple interviews made me cancel week long business trips which left me unbillable instead...not a good thing when your performance is being evaluated. So my advice is to make sure the company knows this is going to happen...or be prepared to quietly slip away to interviews by calling in sick, b/c they don't always fall at convenient times, and it is sometimes hard to schedule anything depending on the school. Good luck!

T

toothfairy85

I think it depends. All the schools that invited me to interview had a date assigned.

PChemGrad

I am a banana.
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I had the choice to choose the date that worked best for me, granted that is if they do interview on that day. Most schools only interview on specific days of the week, so it is best to call them ASAP to choose the earliest date that works for you.

litldime

D2
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Well, I'm going to give you the flip-side of the latter opinions. I work in a job that requires frequent overnight travel. If my company was not disorganized and lax, they would have realized long ago that my travels to interviews (in addition to night classes for prereqs) was really affecting my performance and gotten rid of me long ago. I still try to work my schedule around work as much as possible, but a couple interviews made me cancel week long business trips which left me unbillable instead...not a good thing when your performance is being evaluated. So my advice is to make sure the company knows this is going to happen...or be prepared to quietly slip away to interviews by calling in sick, b/c they don't always fall at convenient times, and it is sometimes hard to schedule anything depending on the school. Good luck!

I was thinking of explaining to them that i am applying for professional school but don't you think that this would affect me getting the job? I mean if they expect me to travel, I would think they would have a tentative list or something not just have me travel out of the blue? So if I have a work schedule so to say, I can work around it
-ld

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.