Quick Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Telamir

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question. I've been interested in neuro and in psych for a while, so I thought the best combination of both would be neuropsych, which is a fellowship you can do once you finish either neuro or psych; or a dual specialty neuro/psych. Now, sadly, I don't think I've got the stats or "extracurriculars" to get into a dual program given how little students they take and how few of them there are.

This brings me to my question, if I wanted to pursue neuropsych, which one should I do first? Neuro or psych? I realize that while they share a common ground their backgrounds are very different regarding what you do in residency. I was wondering if this common ground is enough to not matter too much in the long run or if the gap is very large.

Some background info, I'm a MS3 studying in a U.S. school in Puerto Rico. I do have interests in academics, but mostly in teaching and not so much in dedicating my entire life to research. I've done research before but it was bench research and wasn't a very positive experience for me in the past. Apart from that I'd obviously like to work in the clinical setting. In case the entire earnings thing becomes an issue, I'm leaving med school with ~34k in loans, so I don't really have much of that to speak of.

Well, sorry this turned out to be a bit more than "quick", but I appreciate any feedback I get. Thank you all for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can't get into a combined program and still wanted to do both, it would be best to do neuro first, in case you change your mind and only want to do one.

Most psych residencies will give you essentially full credit for a completed neuro internship. The reverse is not true.

If you can't get into a combined program and still wanted to do both, it would be best to do neuro first, in case you change your mind and only want to do one.

Most psych residencies will give you essentially full credit for a completed neuro internship. The reverse is not true.

Yep, do neuro first if you can't do combined. It is fairly common for people to transfer into psych as PGY-2 directly after graduating from another residency, and also many doctors return for psych residency as PGY-2's after working as an attending. You don't want to repeat an intern year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I can get into one of the combined programs or not quite yet. Research is kind of hard to find over here...clinical one that is; and having the time to do it is another matter altogether. I wouldn't mind doing some clinical based research to see if I would like it, but I'll have to see if I can find something.

What I mean is my step is just average, 223, and so far I'm doing my clerkships and I'm getting B's, I guess. Due to the small number of spaces in these programs I am naturally a bit skeptical that I'll be able to get in; although I suppose me being fully bilingual might help some. Thanks for the feedback so far!

Do some away rotations for neuro, behavioral neuro, and neuropsych. See if it's really what you want. 6 years is a definite commitment, even aside from the few slots.