Quick questions about residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunneria

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Does where you go for derm dicate the vicinity of where you most likely will get hired? I.e i would love to spend my twenties in NY for residency but head down south afterwards

2) weekly workhours-wise, which programs are friendliest to their residents and which are not so friendly?

Members don't see this ad.

1. it is certainly much easier to get jobs in the area where you do your residency b/c you will have the "in" on a lot of job openings that won't be advertised from part-time/voluntary faculty...even in the most saturated markets. If you are looking to move to an area where the market isn't so competitive then it probably isn't such a big deal.

2. I think there are plenty of posts on this general topic in the past and you will probably get some people telling you that you should be worried about good training and not which are the "friendliest." I personally have heard great things about OHSU, USC, Colorado, Cook County, University of Minn, Univ. Iowa as being "friendly" programs as well as good training. Hope that helps.