Quick questions. Thanks...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor246853

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to kill two birds with one stone (work pt and research). Can these jobs fit into the "research" area or maybe lead to research? They are both Lab Tech Assistant 1 postitions at UT Southwestern. The first is in the Internal Medicine Department. Duties are:
1. Prepares laboratory specimens.
2. Assembles and operates standard laboratory equipment.
3. Collects and records data which may involve arithmetic computations.
4. Prepares standard reagents and culture media.
5. Examines experimentally infected laboratory animals to detect and record symptoms associated with variety of animal diseases.
6. Weighs, positions, and performs pre-operative shaving of animals.
7. Takes vital signs of animals.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.

The second is in Pharmacology, duties are the same as above.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Lab tech positions can definitely lead to research if you let the PI know that you're interested and you perform well. The lab techs I've interacted with at UTSW often have their own mini projects that they work on in addition to their job duties.

Members don't see this ad :)
Smells like research to me, doc.

Plus you can always ask if you want to get involved on a specific research project, as Cole said.

Once you get your foot in the door you can start to network and you'll be golden.

Quickest bump ever.

This is already good enough for "research" on AMCAS, but I would try to get involved in something a little more independent (as others have said) to have more to talk about or if you want to make it one of your 3 most significant experiences.
LOL sorry. I just needed to know if I should let my current position go for an Lab tech job. Im a orderly in the Parkland OR but want to do research.(This aint for me) If this suffice as research then Ima do the lab.

I weaseled my way up from lab tech/monkey servant to lab co-manager. You can too! :cool:

Labs hire lab techs to do the dirty work, but that doesn't mean you can't help with the research stuff as well. Get as involved in the actual research as possible, and once you have a good understanding of what it is your lab actually does you'll be in a position to approach the PI with your own ideas.

Buddying up to a grad student is a good idea too.

I weaseled my way up from lab tech/monkey servant to lab co-manager. You can too! :cool:

Labs hire lab techs to do the dirty work, but that doesn't mean you can't help with the research stuff as well. Get as involved in the actual research as possible, and once you have a good understanding of what it is your lab actually does you'll be in a position to approach the PI with your own ideas.

Buddying up to a grad student is a good idea too.
Its only 19hr a week max( which is great for me) but I dont think I will make manager. Will it still look great just doing that though undergrad. Im currently working 40 ROUGH hours a week with 5 classes (while making A's) IT IS KILLING ME! seriously.