Quick Review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarcoidosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, about to start my urology elective and wanted to know what I should review quickly to have the basics, before starting...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

this book is good:

http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Handbo...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230304648&sr=8-4

It's from the UK though so things are a bit different in it (like PUJ instead of UPJ, slightly different drug names and units, etc). It's great to carry in your lab coat and quickly review a subject before presenting a clinic case or consult.

Have fun on your electives... make sure your shoes don't have holes in them (uro is very wet!).

I got a pocket book for urology from some drug rep and it was a decent review of basic terms. Its not a bad idea to have one in your pocket. Learn about the type of tests used for diseases such as upj obstruction, stones, and cancers of all types related to the GU system. Review your anatomy in context of the surgeries you might assist on: know the borders of the external iliac lymph node dissection for staging of prostate cancer, and surgical landmarks of dissection during a partial or radical nephrectomy. The best piece of advice might be to understand what good medical students have done in the past to contribute to the team and do that, maybe even improve upon it, and you will score points! Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you, I need more of such advice... going to go over some of these things Tori's Dad...

I really don't want to buy a $50 pocket book, will carry my medicine pocket book and then some pages of info...

thank you, I need more of such advice... going to go over some of these things Tori's Dad...

I really don't want to buy a $50 pocket book, will carry my medicine pocket book and then some pages of info...

Well, I guess it depends what you're doing an elective for. If it's because you're applying to uro, then it's worth the $. I still use it in residency.

Urology Secrets is a pretty good review book - great reviews on amazon.