Quick ROL Brainstorm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trkd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a 2am "maybe I should change my ROL top 2" kind of thing happening. I was hoping to get some opinions. As it stands, I LOVE my top 3 and would be happy to be at any one of them so this is not a freaking out sort of event. People (PD/faculty/residents) are of the most importance to me. Next comes location (I HATE cold weather). Last strange issue is that my significant other, who is a year behind me, has decided on EM. Based on this, I am hoping that my PD is cool enough to consider him highly when next year's applications roll around or there are a lot of programs reasonably close by that he could go to if he doesn't get in where I am (within 2 hrs). He will probably be a better candidate than me so that isn't an issue.

Program A: Fantastic PD (seriously amazing), awesome residents, best reputation nationally of the 3, much better weather, rotated there and know it is a cool place, there are a few programs about 1.5-2 hrs drive away, BUT..... I don't know how easy for my SO to also get in (harder place to get into than my other 2 choices I believe).

Program B: Awesome residents, my SO is from the area, I also love the area in general, BUT.... cold as all hell (huge problem), not many other programs he would want within 2 hrs, and PD seemed cool but not necessarily inspiring (not as big a deal as the weather, just a point). Huge plus: there is a married couple that are in the EM program there so the PD seemed to be down with that.

I need some folks to brainstorm with here. I would appreciate any thoughts, based on your own ROL experience or anything else. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

go all out and rank prog A number one. sounds like it has more going for it and the issue about your SO is just a potential problem.

go all out and rank prog A number one. sounds like it has more going for it and the issue about your SO is just a potential problem.

Thanks beaudubbs. I just hope the potential problem turns out OK. I want the concerns to be over on March 15th but they will not really be over for us until the match next year. Worst case senario will be that we live apart for a few years. Sucks but doable.

Members don't see this ad :)
well good luck with things. it seems highly unlikely that your SO, whom you have mentioned is a competitive applicant, wouldn't be able to successfully influence his destiny in this process. he has an entire year ahead after you match to: do away rotations at the institution where you are, attend social functions with you that may have attendings/pd's in attendence, etc. if he is at least basically qualified and shows a great deal of enthusiasm about the place, rotates there, and get introduced/spends time with the higher ups, he should have no trouble matching there. don't sweat it. have a great match and aim for the sky.

I agree that A should be a good option because its obvious you like the program better based on your description of it compared to B. Your SO could do an rotation there and rock their socks off and I don't see why he would have much of a problem matching there next year if he would be a better candidate than you may have been. Good luck!

well good luck with things. it seems highly unlikely that your SO, whom you have mentioned is a competitive applicant, wouldn't be able to successfully influence his destiny in this process. he has an entire year ahead after you match to: do away rotations at the institution where you are, attend social functions with you that may have attendings/pd's in attendence, etc. if he is at least basically qualified and shows a great deal of enthusiasm about the place, rotates there, and get introduced/spends time with the higher ups, he should have no trouble matching there. don't sweat it. have a great match and aim for the sky.

Yeah, the idea is that if they get to know him through all these social events, they will love him as well. Also, he will do a rotation at my program and like 2 surrounding ones. I am hoping for the best.

Either way, I think it is still difficult b/c the area of Program B has all his friends and some other great things about it. I didn't really have all this controversy in my ROL til now. Sucks. But thank you both for your thoughts.

I wish that we could outright just name these places (and ourselves) and not fear any backlash/internet mumbo-jumbo. Because I seriously have no clue where trkd is talking about, and probably won't for awhile.

Warm is good though. Although where you went to school is better ;).

I wish that we could outright just name these places (and ourselves) and not fear any backlash/internet mumbo-jumbo. Because I seriously have no clue where trkd is talking about, and probably won't for awhile.

Warm is good though. Although where you went to school is better ;).

McNinja, I'll put it out there for you a bit more. Essentially we are talking about NC vs. MI. Neither is warm enough for me but sometimes you have to sacrifice. Definitely not where I went to school but not many places are. :D PM me if you want the whole ROL. You know I will let you in on it. ;)

You may be worried needlessly. If your SO is an acceptable candidate, and you are already in the program and valued, that will count come 2008.

You may be worried needlessly. If your SO is an acceptable candidate, and you are already in the program and valued, that will count come 2008.

That's the idea. I just didn't know how realistic that is. Thanks for some confirmation that it is a possibility. :oops:

I think you should go with the program you initially ranked #1. My hesitation is growing as that last day to alter the list gets closer. I think you might be just second guessing a good decision.

Where does your SO want to go? Would he be happy in both locations? Obviously you don't want him to be unhappy for the next 3-4 years, or you probably won't be too happy either. I'm guessing you don't have kids... or else being apart would probably not be realistically feasible.

All else being equal, I agree that Program A seems to resonate more closely with your needs/wishes. Just my opinion.

Good luck either way! :)

Where does your SO want to go? Would he be happy in both locations? Obviously you don't want him to be unhappy for the next 3-4 years, or you probably won't be too happy either. I'm guessing you don't have kids... or else being apart would probably not be realistically feasible.

All else being equal, I agree that Program A seems to resonate more closely with your needs/wishes. Just my opinion.

Good luck either way! :)

I didn't consider places he wouldn't want to go at the top of the list. It wouldn't have been fair. We don't have kids. We will be newlyweds so I just wouldn't really want to do the separate for a couple years thing.

Thanks for the 2 cents folks. I am getting close to a dollar.:thumbup: The timer is ticking down and I haven't changed program A out of the number 1 slot yet.