"Quiet" on an evaluation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue Frog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I asked this in another forum...but thought maybe this forum would have been more appropriate...

How much do comments such as "quiet" on a couple rotation evaluations affect the decision to interview/rank an applicant in EM?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you suggesting "quiet" meaning "shy" or "not assertive" or "quiet" meaning "withdrawn, not engaging, and generally strange or wierd to work with?" How is it phrased?

"quiet but ___fill in the blank___"
knowledgeable about his/her patients
well spoken

Members don't see this ad :)
"quiet but knowledgeable about his/her patients"
and
"quiet but well spoken"

"It’s better to remain silent and appear to be a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt..."

Not sure who said it but I can think of a few residents who could use more of this advice (I'm sure I do at times as well) I think the way they are written will not hurt you, maybe even help, so long as you are personable and interview well.

Good Luck!

"It’s better to remain silent and appear to be a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt..."

Not sure who said it but I can think of a few residents who could use more of this advice (I'm sure I do at times as well) I think the way they are written will not hurt you, maybe even help, so long as you are personable and interview well.

Good Luck!

Nice Abe Lincoln quote.

I wouldn't worry about it. Nothing wrong with being "quiet". I wish many of my colleagues were a little more often. And they undoubtedly think that of me, too! :D

Yeah - nothing wrong with that at all - in fact, it will serve you well :thumbup:

Thanks everyone...that makes me feel better. :)

I recieved that on 3 different evaluations, but they were otherwise favorable. Of course, I study in Israel and most of my patients speak a different language. If I had not been quiet I suppose they would have said "ditchdoc talks to himself a lot."

I would not worry about it as long as you recieved a favorable evaluation. Most people would prefer to work with someone quiet rather than work with someone that never shuts up.

Nice Abe Lincoln quote.

I wouldn't worry about it. Nothing wrong with being "quiet". I wish many of my colleagues were a little more often. And they undoubtedly think that of me, too! :D

From Proverbs 17:27-28 (New International Version)......

27 A man of knowledge uses words with restraint,
and a man of understanding is even-tempered.

28 Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.

I think the remarks you mentioned are both positive though I do think these evaluators are trying to tell you to speak up a bit. It only takes speaking up in rounds one or two times to get rid of this reputation if you are concerned about it.