Quinnipiac vs Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bstomd2024

Reaction score
Hi all! Fortunate to have two acceptances, would appreciate the input. Have not received FA on either school, however COL would be higher in Connecticut. I’m interested in peds EM and would ideally like to move to Pittsburgh for family reasons for residency. Still waiting for FA packages and second look days, but would welcome any perspectives!

Quinnipiac pros

• learning in community hospitals -
  • live in a completely new region of US
  • more clinical experience in preclinical - weekly opportunities
  • Quinnipiac student ems - would be able to join a student ems service, something i am passionate about
  • More support in transition to med school (optional program for nontrads, emphasis on learning how to learn)
  • Boards and beyond and uworld are free
Quinnipiac cons

• cost of living (tuition is comparable but city is more expensive)
  • less EM exposure - less students match into EM
  • Two year preclinical

Penn state pros

• learning in a huge academic medical center
  • cost of living
  • more established with Pittsburgh (option to do elective rotation fourth year in Pittsburgh)
  • live in an area more familiar
  • Would be able to keep per diem gap year job, something that genuinely brings me joy and would be a nice break from med school
  • seems to be more of an EM friendly school (EM third year elective)
  • Vietnam global scholars program (as a Vietnamese immigrant, the idea of doing this program brings me joy)
  • Psychiatry and therapy for students seems very established and frequently used
  • 1.5 year preclinical
  • Emphasis on humanities

Penn state cons

• less clinical exposure in preclinical
  • less support in learning how to learn
Summary: Quinnipiac was my first acceptance and I was genuinely excited to move to a new area and start completely new. Penn State feels more familiar to me, but I want to make sure I’m not sacrificing anything for familiarity.

Members don't see this ad.

Penn State. Sounds like you want to go there and you want to end up in PA area which will work out perfectly. PLus the shorter preclinical will open up more opportunities for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At Penn State if you know for sure you want to do EM, there is a 3 year MD program where you can match straight into their EM residency. I know a student who just did that

At Penn State if you know for sure you want to do EM, there is a 3 year MD program where you can match straight into their EM residency. I know a student who just did that
they unfortunately removed the EM program this year :/

• Wow
Congrats!! Was also accepted to both, imo Penn State having a home program in almost every specialty is a huge plus

Congrats!! Was also accepted to both, imo Penn State having a home program in almost every specialty is a huge plus
feel like I’ve seen you in every thread, hope to see you at the same school!