Quirky fellowship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nancysinatra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do people ever do fellowships in both C/A and geriatrics? What would that make them then--would they go back to being called a general psychiatrist? If they added a fellowship in C/L, then they could see ANY patient in the hospital! Except neonates maybe?

Besides NICU patients and patients under general anesthesia (not counting for ECT), what other types of hospital patients are there that psychiatrists generally don't get to see too much of?

Members don't see this ad.

Do people ever do fellowships in both C/A and geriatrics? What would that make them then--would they go back to being called a general psychiatrist? If they added a fellowship in C/L, then they could see ANY patient in the hospital! Except neonates maybe?

Besides NICU patients and patients under general anesthesia (not counting for ECT), what other types of hospital patients are there that psychiatrists generally don't get to see too much of?

You can indeed do fellowships in both c/a and geri. However, the two will cancel all that training and your general training that falls between those extremes, you'll be forced to re-do residency from the beginning the day after your commencement from the latter fellowship.

Psychiatrists see, as you assert, virtually every patient in the hospital (perhaps less-so with neonates). They see of course the general medical patient, acute reactions in the dialysis unit, the onco floor in droves, the SICU, the ICU, the CCU, the step-down, on rehab, on the surgery floor, in the PACU, in hospice, on detox, on the neuro floor, and just about everywhere else I can think of.

We go everywhere. Gets us on to lots of hospital committees since all parties believe we know what it's like in their particular trench. In the past week I've been consulted (at least once) to the:

MICU
SICU
Trauma ICU
Neurosurg ICU
Cardiac ICU
Epilepsy unit
ED
Transplant unit
Short stay unit
Dialysis unit
and of course, the general medical floor

I don't see the kiddos, but the C&A folks are all over their units. Unusual week thus far in that I haven't been to L&D or post-partum. We don't have a burn unit, but at other hospitals I've been at, they tend to have a particularly heavy psych presence.

I co-consult on cases with almost every subspecialty, with neuro, neurosurg, endocrine, renal, ID, GI, and pulm being the particular heavy hitters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you ever find yourselves in the OR for any reason? (I mean, other than, say, watching a VNS placement or being operated on yourself).

Do you ever go to radiology or have to consult pathology about anything? Maybe a drug test or something? I can't imagine having to go down to their lab for anything, unless it was to look at historical specimens of brains preserved in formaldehyde.

I've also been trying to think of fellowships that would cancel each other out, but in psych I can't think of much. Sleep and pain, maybe, since if people are properly asleep they shouldn't feel pain?

And why is there no fellowship for Middle Age Psychiatry? Isn't that when people typically have their mid-life crises (especially narcissists, I've heard?), and also isn't it in middle age that problems from earlier in life, like substance abuse, really get out of control? It seems like this age group deserves more attention!

I like the idea of getting to be on committees! When can I sign up??

A senior of mine went to the OR the other day and even had to draw the uterus and ovaries for a patient who refused surgery for her ectopic pregnancy.... naturally they called psych... i mean how could you refuse surgery for a problem that no one bothered to explain to you? :rolleyes:

Do you ever find yourselves in the OR for any reason? (I mean, other than, say, watching a VNS placement or being operated on yourself).

Do you ever go to radiology or have to consult pathology about anything? Maybe a drug test or something? I can't imagine having to go down to their lab for anything, unless it was to look at historical specimens of brains preserved in formaldehyde.

I've also been trying to think of fellowships that would cancel each other out, but in psych I can't think of much. Sleep and pain, maybe, since if people are properly asleep they shouldn't feel pain?

And why is there no fellowship for Middle Age Psychiatry? Isn't that when people typically have their mid-life crises (especially narcissists, I've heard?), and also isn't it in middle age that problems from earlier in life, like substance abuse, really get out of control? It seems like this age group deserves more attention!

I like the idea of getting to be on committees! When can I sign up??

Haven't been called to an OR, but have been to the PACU with fair frequency. The folks I know doing DBS typically have the psychiatrist in the OR. I've been called to rads a fair number of time for people "freaking out" in the scanner/refusing to get in in the first place.