Quitting a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biomom

Reaction score
I am currently working two jobs (each part-time). One of the jobs is clinical and one is a research position. My role in the research has changed and I have begun training in on my new role. It is not for me. It is a very boring and isolating job and not at all what I want to do, but Ive been told multiple times that they’re counting on me. I feel very guilty, but I’d like to get out of the job. I don’t want them to waste more time training me. I don’t want to disappoint them by walking away so I’m having a hard time saying anything. What is the most professional way for me to quit?

Members don't see this ad.

If it's not for you, it's not for you. It seems respectful of you to want to avoid their spending additional resources training you when you already know you won't be staying in the job, and that's the exact time of information I'd want to know from an employee.

My take--just ask to speak with your boss/supervisor, let them know you've given it thought and have decided to pursue other opportunities, and give them at least two weeks' notice (or a month, if you think longer would be helpful for them). They'll probably ask why you're leaving, and you could certainly let them know that the new role just doesn't fit well with your interests and goals.

Reactions: 3 users
I am currently working two jobs (each part-time). One of the jobs is clinical and one is a research position. My role in the research has changed and I have begun training in on my new role. It is not for me. It is a very boring and isolating job and not at all what I want to do, but Ive been told multiple times that they’re counting on me. I feel very guilty, but I’d like to get out of the job. I don’t want them to waste more time training me. I don’t want to disappoint them by walking away so I’m having a hard time saying anything. What is the most professional way for me to quit?
It kind of sounds like they know it’s a **** job and are trying to guilt you and make it hard to leave. I think the most professional way is to send a generous email about how you’ve enjoyed your time with them, but you decided to move your career in a different direction (or are wanting to scale back to part time work). You don’t really owe them much of an explanation though. You have every right to want to leave a position. They’ll be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're the main character in your own life. I just left a job in March that just wasn't a great fit. It burned some minor bridges. But sometimes bridges need burning.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
+1 for the advice on sending a kind email that is also 100% firm in your resignation and with an end date so that they don’t try to talk/guilt trip you into going against your decision (once you’re committed).

They will be 100% fine and perhaps they might even find somebody better suited for this position and you’ll definitely be happier with other pursuits.

And given that it’s a job seekers market right now due to high turnover and unfilled positions in so many industries including mental health, this seems like a potentially great time to look for something more fulfilling.

Reactions: 2 users
I like this. Thanks.

You're the main character in your own life. I just left a job in March that just wasn't a great fit. It burned some minor bridges. But sometimes bridges need burning.

Reactions: 1 user
Charles de Gaulle is credited as once saying that the graveyards are full of indispensable men.

As a former indispensible man, my former employer continues to survive following my departure as will yours. I'm with everyone else...You do you.

Reactions: 6 users