Quitting transferring fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Im312

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a 3 yr fellowship, which I started 7/14, in which I hate the program. There are no didactics and only a sparse number of attending and the one attending is very inefficient. To the point where they work us so hard we don't even get a lunch break. Also seeing -12 pts in 3 hrs. I love the field and the patients, but it's has become too much. I also stupidly signed my contract for next year. I feel if I stay here it will drive me crazy. As fellows we are mistreated and the fellowship is very very malignant. I don't know what to do in this position. Can I still be a internist?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no internist, but I'm not sure working through lunch is a good reason to quit. I also can't imagine that 12 patients in 3 hours is too far off from what you'd have to do as a general internist in practice- 15 minute slots are pretty standard. If you love the field, you might want to stick it out so you can do what you love long term.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm no internist, but I'm not sure working through lunch is a good reason to quit. I also can't imagine that 12 patients in 3 hours is too far off from what you'd have to do as a general internist in practice- 15 minute slots are pretty standard. If you love the field, you might want to stick it out so you can do what you love long term.

I agree with this. Working through lunch and seeing 4 patients an hour is almost standard for outpatient medicine. I don't think that quitting to be a general internist is a wise move in the long run.

Reactions: 1 users
I am in a 3 yr fellowship, which I started 7/14, in which I hate the program. There are no didactics and only a sparse number of attending and the one attending is very inefficient. To the point where they work us so hard we don't even get a lunch break. Also seeing -12 pts in 3 hrs. I love the field and the patients, but it's has become too much. I also stupidly signed my contract for next year. I feel if I stay here it will drive me crazy. As fellows we are mistreated and the fellowship is very very malignant. I don't know what to do in this position. Can I still be a internist?

Thanks

Read your contract in the Termination section. Many contracts state you can terminate the agreement with 30 days written notice no matter what. You should not be bound.