Quoted: Issues in writing med school PS

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am writing my personal statement essay required for me to obtain letters of recommendation. I am definitely finding it harder than i thought. I wanted to write about how I was/am going through a rough patch in my life. I have not been diagnosed with depression or anything, but this was definitively not one of my stellar moments.

I did a search on this topic...a lot of people are vary of writing about such an "emotionally damaging" period on life. On the contrary, it did affect my work ethic since i was not employed for a few months. However in efforts to redeem myself, I am going to start seeing a therapist since I do not have a strong support system at all. In addition, I hope to be employed soon.

If anyone can offer advice, on how to positively reflect this or to even talk about it in the first place ( or has even been though this), it would be appreciated..thank you!

General rules for PS that might also apply to this situation

1. Don't use your PS to make excuses for bad grades. Your PS is about why you will be a great doctor, not why a rough patch in your life got you a few bad grades.
2. Anything in your PS can be part of your interview discussion. Be prepared and be sure this is what you want.

On the other hand, sometimes if there is an obvious bad time due to a personal event, it can be mentioned, but again, don't focus on it.

Members don't see this ad.