quoted: licensing and history of substance abuse

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my issue:

I'm currently in medical school, and I got a look at the ERAS worksheet. I saw the question: "Is there anything in your past history that would limit your ability to be licensed or limit your ability to receive hospital privileges?"

So when it comes time to answer this question, it will have been 8 years since I voluntarily underwent substance abuse treatment and never had another issue in that regard. I have never had ANY legal issues at all. I will have had a perfect record in med school.

I have looked at as many state licensing applications as I could get my hands on. There are a couple of states (that I have no interest in training in) that ask "Have you ever been treated..." But the vast majority only ask whether or not you are currently impaired, or currently using substances. Texas was even pretty severe in their questions, but limited them to the past 5 years.

So my initial reaction is, "No, it wouldn't." If it said "could" I suppose it would be a different story. Anything is possible, but all the evidence I can find tells me this will not limit my ability to be licensed. I have been able to find much less about privileging, but I imagine that they ask similar questions to the licensing app? Is this true?

Could anyone with knowledge here advise me? Am I safe in thinking that I can put "No" if the states I am trying to train in do not ask "Ever" questions on their licensing applications? I will not lie, and I want to make sure this is not lying. If I was asked about my past explicitly, it would be obvious to me that I would have to answer. In this case, I just don't know.

Remembering that legal advice is best given by lawyers, I don't think you need to answer positively here, but we'll see what aPD and others say.

Members don't see this ad.

Remembering that legal advice is best given by lawyers, I don't think you need to answer positively here, but we'll see what aPD and others say.

Agreed. I would just answer no.

After you match, you'll be screened by Occ Med. You;ll end up disclosing it there as part of your medical history. If done correctly, it stays private between you and your physician. As long as Occ Med feels you're fine, then it won't be a problem at all.

And you should assume that all new hires get drug tested.