Quoted: Physician LOR's

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A common question...

When choosing an MD or DO to ask for a LOR, is it acceptable to ask a friend of the family or your personal physician? I know many applicants shadow a doctor for a short period of time specifically to obtain a reference. Which is more credible? Someone who's know you for a long time, but has a personal interest or someone who could be more objective, but has less experience on which to base a reference?

Although it is possible to use a personal physician or a family friend to write a letter, and I have seen such letters, these people should identify this relationship in the letter. As such, it may not be taken too seriously unless the applicant worked specifically with the applicant in some setting in which they could independently evaluate them. A physician whom you've shadowed may also write a letter, but these letters are also considered in light of the length and nature of the relationship. In other words, they are unlikely to have a major impact.

The best letters are from those who have worked with you in a supervisory or mentoring capacity.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been doing a shadowing thing with this internist for about a month now, about 10-12hrs a week. I plan on continuing this at a reduced pace, maybe 4hrs/wk until med school. Would this sort of time involvement, and the letter that comes out of it, and mentor-like relationship(although its not anything official) be looked better upon than shadowing various doctors for a day or two.

In general, a longitudinal experience is best. 4 hrs/week is quite a bit.