quoted: Residency program moving location

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fellow residents and I were informed last week that our residency will be moving 60 miles away to a different hospital and that we would be moving with it starting next summer. We had no inkling that this would occur and many of us have put down large down payments on multi-year leases, moved families and have spouses working close to and children going to school near or at the current location

Is there any way we can contest this move? Is it allowable via ACGME rules/regulations if we were not informed of this until after starting residency? Do the residents have any recourse besides transferring?

Thank you for any help.

Clearly ACGME would be the ones to ask, however, I rather strongly suspect that you have little choice in this. Residencies can and do completely close leaving the residents without recourse so I suspect they can also move. However, we'll see if someone who actually knows the answer chimes in here.

Sorry about this, at the least your program should be providing help financially and otherwise with the move.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep. You really don't have much of a choice, except to move or quit.

Employers do this not infrequently. They may close a site, and tell everyone that they need to move across the country or lose their job.

You can't make them stay. They may want to stay, but must move because the hospital is restructuring and won't support GME.