Quotes from SDN users

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

writnkitten

I'm a freelance writer and I'm doing a piece on the history of the SDN and who it serves.

I would love to get some quotes from you--the actual users of the site, as to how you came to find the site, how often you use it, what you like about it, how it's helped you, etc. Any concrete examples would be apprecaited as well.

Feel free to elaborate as much as you'd care to, and I may ask some responders for more details if necessary.

Thank you all in advance for your help and your prompt reply!

Juliet Farmer
SDN Freelance Writer

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a freelance writer and I'm doing a piece on the history of the SDN and who it serves.

I would love to get some quotes from you--the actual users of the site, as to how you came to find the site, how often you use it, what you like about it, how it's helped you, etc. Any concrete examples would be apprecaited as well.

Feel free to elaborate as much as you'd care to, and I may ask some responders for more details if necessary.

Thank you all in advance for your help and your prompt reply!

Juliet Farmer
SDN Freelance Writer
1) I found out about this site from one of my organic students. He suggested that I might want to check it out since I was complaining about how hard it is for older students to get application advice.

2) I log onto SDN most days, mainly to check my forums as opposed to get info at this point. Not long after I joined, another user and I started the MCAT subforum to answer people's questions. I think because of that work, I was "promoted" to being a mod and now a supermod.

3) I like several things about it: the sense of community, the friends I've made, the ability to contribute something back since I got so much help myself, and when it's working, the search button. ;)

4) When I was an applicant, I checked SDN often for info about medical schools and interview feedback. I think those are two of the more common uses for this site. I also got some of the SDNers to read my PS. Now SDN is mainly a volunteer activity for me.

I stumbled onto this site the same way I do everything else. Google made it possible. I come to this site every day. It might be to lurk. I might post something. I need my daily pat on the back so that I feel better about taking the scenic route to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a non-trad applicant, I was really out of touch with the med school application process and did a lot of searching for answers online while nervously waiting for my MCAT results. I found SDN and quickly realised that it is an excellent place to monitor the pulse of the process and comisserate with others about the agony of waiting. Since then I log on virtually every day and have made many new friends on here. I now and feel much more confident in my understanding of the process and the expectations of adcoms.

What I find particularly helpful is the ability to see how other applicants progress through the cycle. We can share information about which schools are giving out interview invitations when, and to whom. We can better speculate about our chances by comparing our own progress to others with the same or different stats and EC's. Most importantly, we can cheer eachother on and pick eachother up when we have fallen down. I don't know how I could have made it through this process up till now without the support and encourgement of others on this site. Sure, local family and friends are supportive, but it really takes someone who is or has been a recent med school applicant to really understand what a current med school applicant is going through. Its a turbulant ride, but its worth it!

I also cyber-stumbled onto SDN from Google as I was looking for some insight into the application process. At the time when I first embarked on the pre-med journey, in the early 1990's, the web was merely a fetus in the brains of some seriously nerdy guys. The closest we came were the "bulletin boards" and pre-meds were certainly not congregating around those.

So many of us who had fallen off the green path to med school, for whatever reasons, were generally left stranded and became lost. In my experience, the only advice available was dished out by a limited, local group of mostly clueless pre-meds with dirty ladles, by a rare and sleepy medical student with a tiny spoon, by admissions offices with odd-shaped forks, and last but not least, by premed advisors wielding knives... The information was generally quite biased, often contradictory, and there was no sanity check mechanism.

SDN has effectively filled a significant part of the information gap. It has eliminated geographic barriers to information gathering. It has a built-in system of checks and balances, whereby most inaccuracies are flushed out, biases and prejudices are exposed, as information flows from all sources.

The human aspect is also very important. The road to medicine can be exhausting to the point of collapse - mentally, physically, emotionally, so having the encouragement of those who have gone before you, those who are on it with you, and even those who are hoping to follow behind you, is invaluable.

I come to the SDN forums several times a week. I have learned an enormous amount since I found the site about a year ago. At this point I contribute rarely, as I am too angst-ridden and a bit too cynical... mostly because I am at square 1, or more accurately, at square -100, so there isn't much positive experience and good advice I can share. I have been inspired by many people here, so as I progress on the road to medicine, I hope to contribute more to SDN and to inspire others who will come after me.

As far as a concrete example... About a year ago, as I was face-to-face with someone working in the admissions office of a certain medical school, I was told (in a scathing, abrasive tone of utter contempt): "Your undergraduate GPA is so awful, I don't understand why you are even bothering thinking about medical school. You are deluded if you think you will ever get in."

That was the day I found SDN. I realized that I am in an awfully deep hole, but I do not have to remain buried alive for the rest of my life. I read about others who had made it out of similar holes and I am inspired by their stories every day.

I registered on SDN in late 2003, about 6-7 months before I quit my job to start my post-bacc program. Prior to that, I did my share of lurking for years.

While there's a certain amount of chaff one needs to wade through, particularly in certain sub-forums, SDN was of tremendous help to me as I went through the entire process: quitting work, starting school again, applying to med school, and being a med student. Even when I don't have time to post, I probably spend at least a few minutes per week looking through current threads or searching for older topics.