r.e.s.p.e.c.t

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badxmojo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those of you that work in hospital.. and work in clinical positions.. do you feel you are accorded the same respect by the nurses and aides as the doctors are? and how do the doctors view/treat you?
also is the pharmacy dept fairly social? do you guys all hangout after work? get together on weekends? I was just wonder about all this stuff maybe i've watched to many episodes of ER <cackle>

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience working at a hospital I've found that respect isn't earned by your job title but by things like your attitude or how you treat other people. From what I've seen the clinical pharmacist at my hospital is respected just as much as anyone else, but of course, she's also a very nice person and treats everyone else with respect. I know some physicians who are less respected than some of the "lowliest" employees because they (the physicians) are either rude or arrogant or don't treat others with respect. It's the whole cliche saying "respect is something you earn" regardless of what your occupation is.

I'd echo what brill said, and add this, why does it matter? If you choose not to do the job you want or do a job you hate based on the respect others give you, then you might want to examine your motivations. At the end of the day, you have to live with your decision, and basing your decision on what others think about you and your job can be a very bad idea. Do what you want to do and don't worry about the unenlightened if they offer you no respect.

When interacting with the heavy egos of many in the healthcare community, your ability, not your job, will earn, or not earn, you respect. Who cares if a doctor or nurse or pharmacist respects you?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for you replies fellas
btw Lsumed.. the respect factor is not going to make or break whether i like my job, I was just curious. I think people on this board should be free to ask question and get straight answers without others trying to psychoanalyze them or telling them to Reevaluate what there doing.

i hear you badmojo, too many people here play amateur shrinks instead of just answering questions.
so here it be:
the physician is the lord and master of the hospital. so by default you can never have as much power and respect.
much of the clinical job will involve being an annoyance to the physicians , questioning their decisions and making them feel like idiots. so dont be surprised if you're seen as a pest.
if you prove yourself to be a useful source of info, you will get respect. but you will still need thick skin to operate in that environment.

StevenS,

I would first of all like to say, I respect your opinion. However, I would like to suggust that you word yourself a little differently. I mean, I understand what you are trying to say. But you know that the way that you state things can seem to be demeaning towards pharmacists, you feel me. You really don't have to say things like "the physician is the lord and master of the hospital" and not expect people to not to get angry at you. You got to expect people to take what you say out of context. I mean, I have seen a lot of back and forth between you and other posters on this forum. And it really has nothing to do with what you are saying, because not everybody is going to like the field of pharmacy, I can respect that. But the way you come across makes people on this forum feel like you are degrading a profession they (me included) are willing to put 4 years of their life into. You are entitled to your opinions and your opinions are valid, but just be a little more sensitive.

Originally posted by LSUMED2006
I'd echo what brill said, and add this, why does it matter? If you choose not to do the job you want or do a job you hate based on the respect others give you, then you might want to examine your motivations. At the end of the day, you have to live with your decision, and basing your decision on what others think about you and your job can be a very bad idea. Do what you want to do and don't worry about the unenlightened if they offer you no respect.

When interacting with the heavy egos of many in the healthcare community, your ability, not your job, will earn, or not earn, you respect. Who cares if a doctor or nurse or pharmacist respects you?

Extremely well said.

to be truthful physicians are the revenue generators in hospitals so naturally they are placed on the top of the chain, pharmacy is not a profit center so respect comes from playing an active role in pharmacotherapy which is difficult in settings other than academic medical centers

I understand respect is important to most people, but sometimes I wonder why do people feel the need to degrade others just because their job has more status. Not only do MDs need to get off their high horse, but also pharmacists. The ultimate goal of a health care professional is to improve patients' health and it doesn't matter if one is an medical doctor, pharmacist, nurse or physician assistant. I would rather define my job, rather than let my job define me.