R.Ph. Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RealistRPh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since when are pharmacist's salaries so secretive? When I first entered the work force the salaries were on the table for everyone to know. Somewhere along the way these numbers became secretive. Corporate is trying to low ball pharmacist salaries by swearing us all to secrecy. This can only happen if we ALLOW it to happen. I say we air our salaries and demand equal pay. How do I know what a new grad is being paid? Is my partner making more than I am? Is there favoritism? Is there unequal pay for women vs. men? If we are all in the dark how are we to know? Corporate wants it this way to save THEM money, thus increase THEIR bonuses. I say it's time to stop this practice and pay us all wages that are the SAME! Just my two cents worth.

Members don't see this ad.

Since when are pharmacist's salaries so secretive? When I first entered the work force the salaries were on the table for everyone to know. Somewhere along the way these numbers became secretive. Corporate is trying to low ball pharmacist salaries by swearing us all to secrecy. This can only happen if we ALLOW it to happen. I say we air our salaries and demand equal pay. How do I know what a new grad is being paid? Is my partner making more than I am? Is there favoritism? Is there unequal pay for women vs. men? If we are all in the dark how are we to know? Corporate wants it this way to save THEM money, thus increase THEIR bonuses. I say it's time to stop this practice and pay us all wages that are the SAME! Just my two cents worth.

your premise isnt even correct, pharmacy salaries are well known. There are people on this board who make it a point to report all the known salaries in their region and other region through people they know. Take some time to search instead of starting off with a complaint.

I am so sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone here. I am brand new to this sight. My beef is with corporate not other pharmacists. I see, now that I have had time to review other posts, that pharmacists are revealing their salaries. I am so encouraged by this. I am personally battling this within the company where I am currently working. None of the pharmacists will ban together and discuss their salaries for fear of being fired. This is a great forum and very empowering site! Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone here. I am brand new to this sight. My beef is with corporate not other pharmacists. I see, now that I have had time to review other posts, that pharmacists are revealing their salaries. I am so encouraged by this. I am personally battling this within the company where I am currently working. None of the pharmacists will ban together and discuss their salaries for fear of being fired. This is a great forum and very empowering site! Thanks.:)

No prob!! Glad to hear that this board is helping people somehow! Im sure you can use the information you find here to negotiate for a better or more fair salary, or to go in with your eyes open for any new jobs. :)

Welcome to SDN! Sometimes there's bickering on here but overall we do manage to put out some great info from time to time.

Do a search for "salary" or "salaries" you should find what you're looking for. But if you dont, you could always start a thread asking about a certain region or state and im sure people will chime in.

I have some bad news for you dude, The USSR is gone into the dust bin of history and even China is embracing the capitalistic system.

Not all pharmacists will be paid the same. The better ones will make more money like it is in just about every other field. Unless there is a union contract, you get what you get.

It must suck to be you making over six figures and being a busy body about what other people make. Is your real name Yenta?

Wow, I am appalled at your response. We are all pharmacists doing the same job. I believe my partner next to me should be entitled to the same wage I am making. Is that unreasonable? I may not be comfortable here. I am brand new and you have really been quite offensive. Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have some bad news for you dude, The USSR is gone into the dust bin of history and even China is embracing the capitalistic system.

Not all pharmacists will be paid the same. The better ones will make more money like it is in just about every other field. Unless there is a union contract, you get what you get.

It must suck to be you making over six figures and being a busy body about what other people make. Is your real name Yenta?

what's gotten into you this morning? He's just trying to better himself and the profession. An anonymous internet pharmacist professional message board seems like a good place to exchange salary info.

Basic economics tells us that more widespread salary information empowers workers to receive better and fairer pay. Thats the reason why companies dont want people talking to each other!! Dont buy into their game! Having more people know what they are worth helps everyone. It's not like some idiot pre-pharm asking how much money they will make - now that would have justified such an acerbic response

Look at the posts this guy has made. It's ALL about money. Anybody who's been around a pharmacy for more than 15 minutes knows around what pharmacists are paid.

This all about worrying about what the guy/gal next to you is making instead of being the best pharmacist he or she can be.

Let's see what's motivating the poster:
I say we air our salaries and demand equal pay
I believe my partner next to me should be entitled to the same wage I am making
In general widespread information has nothing to do with the rate we get paid. I just lived through the greatest expansion of pharmacists salaries in the history of the profession. Salaries have gone from the upper 20's per hour to in some cases the low 60's per hour and it had ZERO to do with widespread knowledge and everything to do with supply and demand.

The OP only cares that every pharmacist makes the same and ALL pharmacists are the same. That's crap. There are always better pharmacists, doctors and lawyers and they should make more than those that don't perform as well.

Don't worry about the other guy. Make yourself standout with your performance and your pay will soon exceed those that don't. All grads may start out the same, but it's free game after that. The pay increases are given in ranges. From X% to Y% and they are based on performance. Give your bosses what they want and you will get the Y% increase while the guy next to you get's the X% increase and that is fair. Fairness <> Equality.

Money is NOT the most important thing in life.

what's gotten into you this morning? He's just trying to better himself and the profession. An anonymous internet pharmacist professional message board seems like a good place to exchange salary info.

Basic economics tells us that more widespread salary information empowers workers to receive better and fairer pay. Thats the reason why companies dont want people talking to each other!! Dont buy into their game! Having more people know what they are worth helps everyone. It's not like some idiot pre-pharm asking how much money they will make - now that would have justified such an acerbic response
Thank you type b pharmD. I agree with everything you said. I appreciate your post. As to the other poster, what is into you? Why so defensive?

Look at the posts this guy has made. It's ALL about money. Anybody who's been around a pharmacy for more than 15 minutes knows around what pharmacists are paid.

This all about worrying about what the guy/gal next to you is making instead of being the best pharmacist he or she can be.

Let's see what's motivating the poster:
In general widespread information has nothing to do with the rate we get paid. I just lived through the greatest expansion of pharmacists salaries in the history of the profession. Salaries have gone from the upper 20's per hour to in some cases the low 60's per hour and it had ZERO to do with widespread knowledge and everything to do with supply and demand.

The OP only cares that every pharmacist makes the same and ALL pharmacists are the same. That's crap. There are always better pharmacists, doctors and lawyers and they should make more than those that don't perform as well.

Don't worry about the other guy. Make yourself standout with your performance and your pay will soon exceed those that don't. All grads may start out the same, but it's free game after that. The pay increases are given in ranges. From X% to Y% and they are based on performance. Give your bosses what they want and you will get the Y% increase while the guy next to you get's the X% increase and that is fair. Fairness <> Equality.

Im not saying knowledge sharing is what sets salaries. It's clear though that if you are armed with more accurate information about a market's salaries you will come out ahead in negotiations. Ever looked at salary.com? That is its entire purpose, is to give people the edge in the job market. Case in point is the guy who came on here who just got a job in san fran for target, they wanted to pay him $50 an hour, and after he asked around, found out everyoen in the area was making closer to $60 an hour, he asked them what was up and they bumped his pay like $8 an hour. They were trying to take advantage of the fact that they tried to have people keep salaries secret. Obviously people's pay is based on their performance and i'm not saying everyone should be paid the same, but when a company tries to hide its salary info in order to scam new hires out of being paid at the same rate as everyone else, that is really lame.

Case in point is the guy who came on here who just got a job in san fran for target, they wanted to pay him $50 an hour, and after he asked around, found out everyoen in the area was making closer to $60 an hour, he asked them what was up and they bumped his pay like $8 an hour. They were trying to take advantage of the fact that they tried to have people keep salaries secret.

that's me. :)

Only thing I could say is I agree with Old Timer, that being around this field, i knew $50/hr wasn't right. I knew it was high 50's/low 60s but I just wanted some concrete numbers to throw back at the recruiter to negotiate. I guess they're both right.

Trying to find out if you are paid a competitive salary is about as capitalistic as you get, there, Milton Friedman...

Trying to find out if you are paid a competitive salary is about as capitalistic as you get, there, Milton Friedman...

Mikey, trying to find out what the guy next to you is making is not just plain impolite, it's stupid. This is not somebody looking to negotiate a better deal. This is a guy who thinks every pharmacist should be paid exactly the same regardless of performance....

First off all unless you just landed from planet Melmac with Alf, everybody knows what everybody else is making + or - a little bit. Pharmacists salaries are pretty much known and if the OP had used the search function or presented himself in may other way I probably wouldn;t have been so harsh.

The equality crap just makes me want to grab a 357 and knee cap these dolts who don't appreciate the fact they make six figure incomes and act like the just escaped from Upton Sinclair's The Jungle.

Mikey, trying to find out what the guy next to you is making is not just plain impolite, it's stupid. This is not somebody looking to negotiate a better deal. This is a guy who thinks every pharmacist should be paid exactly the same regardless of performance....

First off all unless you just landed from planet Melmac with Alf, everybody knows what everybody else is making + or - a little bit. Pharmacists salaries are pretty much known and if the OP had used the search function or presented himself in may other way I probably wouldn;t have been so harsh.

The equality crap just makes me want to grab a 357 and knee cap these dolts who don't appreciate the fact they make six figure incomes and act like the just escaped from Upton Sinclair's The Jungle.

Yeah, taking a look at his post again, and it does seem like he's trying to advocate for all pharmacists to be paid the same.. which is just plain weird. I must have not been paying too much attention earlier

Mikey, trying to find out what the guy next to you is making is not just plain impolite, it's stupid.

If the dude is making more than me and I find out about it..yeah, I'm going to try to get the same...and that isn't stupid...and it's only "impolite" because the wealth class doesn't want us to know that we are underpaid...

Oh! Do you pay your utilities and rent/house payments with oranges and cotton seeds? Please.

Unless you're willing to work at the federal minimum wage, you better retract your last statement. Money is one the most important things in life, by far.

that's me. :)

Only thing I could say is I agree with Old Timer, that being around this field, i knew $50/hr wasn't right. I knew it was high 50's/low 60s but I just wanted some concrete numbers to throw back at the recruiter to negotiate. I guess they're both right.

SF ain't cheap either! lol

Oh! Do you pay your utilities and rent/house payments with oranges and cotton seeds? Please.

Unless you're willing to work at the federal minimum wage, you better retract your last statement. Money is one the most important things in life, by far.

Saying money is not the most important != money is not important

Your statement is ridiculous.

50 bucks an hour in SF? glad that guy got a better wage...

As for pharmacists getting paid the same, it shouldn't be that way. It is important for pharmacists (and any professional) to perform their job well. Money is the perfect motivation. After all, you have to admit that money was part of our motivation to go to pharmacy school. Anybody who says otherwise is probably lying. We should always try to get the best wage.

I could really try to rip you a new one, but what's the point. I didn't say money was of no importance, though in the scheme of things it really is.

Your life is a journey, the poet once wrote, and you can't take anything with you when the journey ends as far as I know. A wise man who we only know as Ben Zoma once asked a couple of thousand years ago:

Who is rich? The answer is he who is satisfied with his portion. It was wise then and it is wise now. There is no correlation between wealth and happiness. In fact there may be an inverse relationship. The USA is clearly the wealthiest society in the history of humanity and yet we consume 2/3 of the world's anti-depressants. How is that so.

I'll leave you with this. Abraham Joshua Heschel, one of the most influential religious philosophers of the 20th century in an interview right before he died was asked to give a message yo young people. Listen to from about 1:40 to 2:17.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xTAh2txiLc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

You will find as you get older, while money can buy you many things, there are many things that just can't be purchased with hard currency.