rabies PEP question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tastrophe

NCSU c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any stats on how long the preexposure series actually lasts? I know you're supposed to have a titer done every 2 years, but I'm curious how many 2-year intervals normally pass before the antibody levels drop below the accepted value?

Members don't see this ad.

It varies greatly with each individual. I had my preexposure shots about 4 years ago when doing wildlife research and since then (due to my job) have had my titers checked every 2 years, and my Ab levels are till pretty high. A man I work with had his shots 12 years ago and he is still good to go with his titers too. Some people may not last that long though and some titers go down after even 4-5 years, so it just depends, but normally they stay within the acceptable range for pretty good amount of time.

BTW brand new to posting here, but have been a regular visitor for awhile and decided to join the crowd :)

My titer is still good 20 years after the original series. And I know one guy who never develops a protective titer. So like athane960 said, it varies tremendously.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so does anyone know what an acceptible titer level is?

:D Thanks for your help!

1:5 dilution on the Rapid Fluorescent Foci Inhibition Test

I had a post-exposure prophylaxis in 1975 when I brought a rabid bat home. My titers have been protective ever since.