tastrophe

NCSU c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Anyone have any stats on how long the preexposure series actually lasts? I know you're supposed to have a titer done every 2 years, but I'm curious how many 2-year intervals normally pass before the antibody levels drop below the accepted value?

athane960

ISU class of 2013!
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Arlington, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
It varies greatly with each individual. I had my preexposure shots about 4 years ago when doing wildlife research and since then (due to my job) have had my titers checked every 2 years, and my Ab levels are till pretty high. A man I work with had his shots 12 years ago and he is still good to go with his titers too. Some people may not last that long though and some titers go down after even 4-5 years, so it just depends, but normally they stay within the acceptable range for pretty good amount of time.

BTW brand new to posting here, but have been a regular visitor for awhile and decided to join the crowd :)

Bill59

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2006
My titer is still good 20 years after the original series. And I know one guy who never develops a protective titer. So like athane960 said, it varies tremendously.

About the Ads

tastrophe

NCSU c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Okay, so does anyone know what an acceptible titer level is?

:D Thanks for your help!

FlyOnTheWall

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
I had a post-exposure prophylaxis in 1975 when I brought a rabid bat home. My titers have been protective ever since.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.