Rabies vaccine shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carrbear21

U of Mn CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yup! That shortage has become the bane of my existence. Everywhere I can find in my state where they would normally give me the vaccine can't give it because they're reserving them only for people who have been bitten (post-exposure). Luckily, Ross is able to just give me the vaccine when I get there. They normally have a few on hand for people who need to finish their series with the 3rd dose once they get there, but apparently they're trying to get more this semester.

Anyway, yeah. But pain in the butt. :rolleyes:

So that explains why my county health department refused to order the vaccine for me. They didn't mention a shortage, but I thought it was odd that they refused to give me pre-exposure when all of the veterinarians and shelter techs I know insisted that they would do it.

Very enlightening, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you're going to OSU, they'll have a program in the spring where everybody goes together for the shots. It's alot easier than making separate appointments. Don't worry about doing it ahead of time.

Yeah, that's what I've heard. I had wanted to try to get them relatively cheap at the health department, but I'll settle for convenience once I get there. :D

My doctor (human, MD kind) told me that his son, who is doing rabies research in Central America this year had to make like 20 calls to get his assistant the vaccine in GA before they could leave on the trip...I mean this guy works with the stuff...you think he could get a freaking immunization series!

Thankfully, I had my series done a few months ago in VA at the department of health....to the tune of about $500, but it's done! whew!

So, does anyone know if there's been any relief of the Rabies vaccine shortage? I'm leaving for school in 1.5 weeks, and the nurses said they'd give it to me when I get there, but I figured I'd try one more time to get the first one done here.

I can only speak to the fact that a friend of mine had no problem getting her first shot for her pre-exposure series like 2 weeks back.

Thanks! I guess I'll look around and see if I can find it.

On the CDC webpage http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/news/2008-05-20_PreEVax.html it states that it is the Imovax pre-exposure vaccine that has a shortage. Any word on Rabavert's vaccine?

I also just saw on the CDC webpage http://www.cdc.gov/RABIES/exposure/preexposure.html that veterinarians and veterinary students are not within a risk group to require serologic testing (titers) or boosters after their primary course of vaccine. I think this is great, because I would have been due for a titer this year and didn't want to get the Imovax vaccine anyway. Can't find anything on the Rabavert though...

I called the county health dept earlier this week and was told there is still a shortage. I have no idea how some people are getting pre-exposure shots unless they know someone high up, or their clinic didn't get the memo.

Maybe they still had some in stock?? And they're using those up?? The CDC memo makes it seem as if the company won't be releasing any more doses unless they're for post-exposure??? Strange...

University Of Minnesota, CVM will be offering rabies pre-exposure to freshman students, we had to email them and let them know if we still needed the vax. They also said that it would be over $200 per vax (3 total).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone had any recent experiences with trying to get the pre-exposure vaccines? Are there still shortage issues and people being refused?

Anyone had any recent experiences with trying to get the pre-exposure vaccines? Are there still shortage issues and people being refused?

Theoretically UCD is still trying to get us doses for our pre-exposure series. No idea when that's gonna happen. Last we'd heard was "maybe in October." I guess that didn't happen, so I'd say there's gotta still be a shortage.

Still can't seem to get them here in Texas. I'm supposed to be vaccinated for my job but....

Somehow CSU got some - I finished my series a few weeks ago. I know that they only got about 100 series.

Michigan State got at least enough for our class...our last dose is in less than 2 weeks.

Thankfully, I got a job at the teaching hospital so I got bumped to the top of the list and have started my series. The rest of my class starts the series sometime in February.

I got an email that the Boynton Clinic at UMN has them again now. I have my first appt set up for next week.

so here's the deal with the shortages...there's essentially 2 main vaccine companies that produce rabies vaccine. earlier in the year, one of them was remodeling so they only had a set amount of vaccine on hand and couldn't produce more while going through the remodel. the other supplier couldn't meet the projected needs of rabies vaccines, so we essentially just had the "leftover" vaccines from the company going through a remodel.

early fall, the CDC and manufacturing company decided that the vaccines on hand should only be saved for post-exposure prophylaxis and there were VERY strict rules regulating the delivery of vaccine in post-exposure cases.

as of early/middle october, most of the restrictions were lifted and vaccines are now available on a limited basis for the pre-exposure series and openly available for post-exposure. (limited basis meaning who is most at risk/needs it the most...vet students are fairly high up there)

essentially, the situation is getting better as super strict restrictions have been lifted, and it is likely that *somewhat* soon, the pre-exposure series should be more readily available to everyone.