race question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doogie Howser

practicing since age 12
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a white male... should i hit the "choose not to reply" to the race question?

this is not a troll, its a serious post.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm a white male... should i hit the "choose not to reply" to the race question?

No. Answer honestly. This is coming from another white male.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lifeisgood, dude... I didn't know your white. I thought you were a minority!!! lol... my bad bro!!

Marion

That's really funny. You're not the first. Dr. Romano thought I was some 6'6" Afro American. I was like 6'6"!? I wish!

I just like reggae (hence the Bob pic), my photo is in my SDN profile...I'm about as white as they come. :laugh:

That's really funny. You're not the first. Dr. Romano thought I was some 6'6" Afro American. I was like 6'6"!? I wish!

I just like reggae (hence the Bob pic), my photo is in my SDN profile...I'm about as white as they come. :laugh:

That's funny!! haha... I swear I thought you were a brotha!!! It's all good... you're still cool as hell. I'm afro american... I have white, black, and asian friends. Good luck to you out there at UCLA!

Marion

No. Answer honestly. This is coming from another white male.

wut he means is choose "white-non hispanic" b/c ur white and ur not hispanic:D

i've seen much whiter:hardy:

Nice Lifeisgood we both have something in common except am blk :)

Sucks, doens't it?

Schools shouldn't need to axe dat question.

I didn't know you were white either.
But after seeing your pic I can see you at UCSD. You a surfer?

Answer it honestly what do you have to hide. I put down I am a white male when I applied.

um, don 't you have to submit photos anyways...it'll be your secret for a whole 35 seconds, till they flip to your file....
:D

i don't have anything to hide really... i just think its really stupid that they even ask that question.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you choose not to reply, they will pretty much assume that you are either a white male or a white male that is sensitive about race.

How is selecting "choose not to reply" dishonest?

AADSAS does provide that option.

It's not dishonest. I guess I could have worded it better. I am just saying why hide it, they will find out soon enough. I don't believe marking choose not to reply will help him in any way.

If you choose not to reply, they will pretty much assume that you are either a white male or a white male that is sensitive about race.

:laugh: too true.

It's not dishonest. I guess I could have worded it better. I am just saying why hide it, they will find out soon enough. I don't believe marking choose not to reply will help him in any way.

Good point. You're right.. they would find out in an instant once you show up to the interview, view your picture, etc.

To the OP: That other guy had a very good point about coming across as sensitive to race. Best put down white male on the application.

This question is asked by just about everyone. You go to Best Buy and buy a camera and the little survey form you turn in even has a race question. Of course you are not investing 1000's of dollars into best buy when you choose to apply to their store (race question on most job apps), but get used to it.

;)

On important stuff like dental school or a job application I always give them the anwer that they want which for me is "white - hispanic".

On places where I feel that it is none of their business I usually just randomly choose either Asian, white, black, or hispanic.

................. McHottie???? :D

Nice pic... I thought you are some surfer dude, with long hair, in dreads, and beard.........................

was i wrong! hahaha

On places where I feel that it is none of their business I usually just randomly choose either Asian, white, black, or hispanic.

well i really feel as if this should be none of their business. what difference does it matter that i'm white/asian/black/orange/purple if I'm applying to dental school. what difference does it make if a native american with a 3.5 and 22 dat vs. a white kid with a 3.5 and 22. they should be making their decision based on the most qualified applicant, race should not factor into this in any way.

well i really feel as if this should be none of their business. what difference does it matter that i'm white/asian/black/orange/purple if I'm applying to dental school. what difference does it make if a native american with a 3.5 and 22 dat vs. a white kid with a 3.5 and 22. they should be making their decision based on the most qualified applicant, race should not factor into this in any way.

I actually agree with you. I am white, but I am European, and English is my second language. So .. I am still kind of screwed... ahh the only factor that works in my favor is that I am a girl..... :D yay!

I put "other" as my race.... bc I am not white, or white non hispanic, or asian, or black, or whatever.. I am Eastern European, I think we are in a class of its own... So put "other" if you don't want to be "white".

(heck I am tan all year round, how is that considered "white" anyway?)

I agree with you too about it not being any of their business but they have power over you in that you want to get into their school, and they hold the key. If you look like a liar by putting something other than what you are or you look like some person that is really sensitive about that stuff by not answering then it might negatively impact their decision about you.

Since a potential employer or potential dental school has power over me, I give them what they want even if I don't agree with it.

I couldn't agree more, but unfortunately it does.

I put "other" as my race.... bc I am not white, or white non hispanic, or asian, or black, or whatever.. I am Eastern European, I think we are in a class of its own... So put "other" if you don't want to be "white".

(heck I am tan all year round, how is that considered "white" anyway?)

Actually, you are considered to be "white". "White" used to be a very exclusive group but as time has gone by it has grown to include more and more people.

The cultural boundaries separating White Americans from other racial or ethnic categories are contested and always changing. Among those not considered white at some time in American history are the Irish, Germans, Ashkenazi Jews, Italians, Spaniards, Slavs, Greeks and other Mediterranean peoples.

If you're country of origin is green on this map, then you are "white".
300px-US_Census_2000_race_definitions.PNG