Racemic, enatiomer??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpikeyMike83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can you tell if a reaction will result in multiple products? And then if it will be a racemic mixture or a set of enantiomers?

also, how can you tell if a reactant will yield only 1 product, or if it will yield two?

Members don't see this ad.

How can you tell if a reaction will result in multiple products? And then if it will be a racemic mixture or a set of enantiomers?

also, how can you tell if a reactant will yield only 1 product, or if it will yield two?

well, i think that if u have SN1 or E1 reaction then you would have racemic mixture of products and that will result in enantiomers, racemic mixtures are enantiomers, one has R configuration and the other one is S...........if i understood it correctly.......(took orgo 2 years ago)....and I think that when u have Br2/CCl4 reaction then the product is anti addition and it's also racemic mixture because it can attack the molecule from different sides...:sleep:

mmkay...

if the molecule is symmetrical then it only results in one product, and asymmetric molecules result in two products?

mmkay...

if the molecule is symmetrical then it only results in one product, and asymmetric molecules result in two products?

SN1 and E1 result in racemic mixture (enantiomers S and R configuration)
Meso compound = plane of symetry= 2 products

.............brrrrrrrrrr.............?>.........i'm officially confused........

If it's SN1, it'll result in racemic (both R & S)

If it's SN2, it'll result in inversion (opposite of whatever it was)
because it attacks the primary C that is less steric and displaces the leaving group (usually halogen)