Rad Onc chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all
I am currently a M3 trying to figure out what is my chance of matching into rad onc
Step 1 240
haven't take my step 2 yet but hopefully I will get higher score than step 1
I have done decent amount of research during my undergrad years with two publications. This year before June I am trying to get one or two more publications. Hopefully that will help too, since I haven't had time to do much research during medical school.

So far I got mostly A's on my clerkship with GPA of 3.78

I heard people match into rad onc all have had strong physics background (most of them majored in physics in undergrad) is that true?
Overall what do you guys think my chance is and what should I do to better my chance of matching? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your chances of matching are good if you apply broadly. GPA is good, Step is decent. I think you already know that you need to work on your research and Step 2. Do really well on your away rotations so you get can good rec letters and interviews.

I heard people match into rad onc all have had strong physics background (most of them majored in physics in undergrad) is that true?
Overall what do you guys think my chance is and what should I do to better my chance of matching? thanks!

Agree with above post. Get some rad onc research going if you don't have it already, abstract/publication if possible, at least a submission.

In regards to your questions - Not at all necessary. Some people do a lot of physics research, but it's not common. You have to be able to learn the basics of physics to pass board exams, but you don't have to have any significant background in it.

Step 1 gets you in the door, good GPA (i'm guessing a fair number of honors in there).

Focus on more research (with a LoR from a big-ish name if possible would be a nice double whammy), doing well on aways, and getting killer LoRs from each of your aways. If you do all of those things I'd guess your chances are pretty good to match.