Rad Onc/Heme Onc Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barsoum.michael

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So Im a 3rd year student at a 7 year combined BS/MD in New York and I was wondering how I should go about doing any kind of oncology research? I am currently in my last year of undergrad about to continue into the medical school portion in my program. Every lab I have contacted has said that I do not have enough experience and I understand that I dont have much experience and I am really just willing to learn techniques from the grad students or anyone who does research. I am really beyond interested in oncology and I really do not know where to start.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do? Also if you are working in a lab in NY can you message me so that I can ask more questions?

Thanks so much everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

That is peculiar. Almost all medical schools have ways to get high school, undergrad and medical students research opportunities. Experience is usually not necessary unless you are applying for a lab tech job. Many schools have summer research programs that might get you a small stipend. Search around to see if those are available. Usually the faculty that are affiliated with those programs have the resources (which is generally a desk and a lab tech or grad student willing to teach you how to do their job).

Inquire more broadly. If you can't find an oncology-related lab to work in, look at other topics you are interested in to get your feet wet. Also, don't limit yourself to clinical oncology labs. Oncology research can be found in departments as widespread as engineering, biology, chemistry, and physics.