Rad Onc programs one SHOULD NOT apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carotenoid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read with tremendous interest the 1-10 rankings, and the longer lists of Outstanding through Good programs...
I am applying right now, and want to apply broadly, of course - however, I do not want to go to a bad program. I do not believe that it is possible to receive awful training and become a good doctor.

Are there programs one simply shouldn't apply to? I will appreciate any type of advice you can give...

Thanks. Stressful time.

Members don't see this ad.

The only programs you should not apply to are the ones not taking applicants this year. You are basically asking what the worst programs are and are not likely to receive a response.

You will be able to judge if a program is sub-standard during the interview. Also, you would do well to search for "probation" in this forum to find which programs have historically been poor for training.

I'm not sure if looking up probation would help ... Some of the programs in the past that were on probation were high volume centers, and just weren't very good at paperwork.

Anyway, for rad-onc training, there are 3 factors in becoming a good clinician (I have no idea what it would take to become a good researcher, so I won't go there at all).

1. High patient volume with a wide variety - you need to see patients and do a lot of plans.

2. Clinical didactics from teachers that care if you do things in an evidence-based way, rather than their way or your institutional way. That way you learn "the right way," but are able to be flexible in unique situations.

3. Time to read. There appears to be programs that are 7a to 6.30p, with weekly presentations and other busy work. With commuting, eating, exercising, and spending time with family and friends, that means almost no time to read. Other than seeing patients, you have to be able to spend a great part of your first two years on your own reading.

And like the moderator says: you should apply to every program, and most people on here won't say which are worst.

-S

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard (essentially rumors) that a few programs only interview people that did rotations there. I have heard this about Loma Linda and University of New Jersey Robert Johnson (or whatever they are called). I don't know if this is true - maybe someone can confirm?

I have heard (essentially rumors) that a few programs only interview people that did rotations there. I have heard this about Loma Linda and University of New Jersey Robert Johnson (or whatever they are called). I don't know if this is true - maybe someone can confirm?

I also heard his about University of Florida, but I'm not sure how reliable the source is regarding this point. Anybody know?

PHP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot sauce  

I also heard this about University of Florida, but I'm not sure how reliable the source is regarding this point. Anybody know?

Absolutely not true for Florida.

Correct me if others have experiences to the contrary, but at interviews for new/newer programs it seemed like the role of the residents were in flux. And instead of this meaning residents had a lot of flexibility it seemed like constant scutout, little time for research and way too much resident led didactics. That said apply to them all.

As with most places, you definitely have an advantage when you rotate at an institution, but I know there are residents at UF who never rotated at the program. My vote -- apply anywhere you would be willing to live and see what happens

Loma Linda University does interview applicants who didn't rotate there, however I think they likely still favor those who did rotate. This is true of many programs in the country.