Rad/Onc Summer Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peach56

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Did anyone do summer research after his/her first year of medical school in rad/onc? I know MD Anderson & Roswell Park Cancer Institute have summer programs for first-year students. Has anyone participated in such a program? Are these summer research programs very competitive? Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Did anyone do summer research after his/her first year of medical school in rad/onc? I know MD Anderson & Roswell Park Cancer Institute have summer programs for first-year students. Has anyone participated in such a program? Are these summer research programs very competitive? Thanks for your input!

I'm actually not sure how tough it is to get into these summer programs. I'd be interested in knowing. I'm doing research on the proton accelerator this summer at Loma Linda, but I know that M.D. Anderson also has a proton machine.

My advice is if you are going to apply to a summer research program apply to ALL of them. MD Anderson, Roswell Park, Wash U, MSKCC, etc all have programs. All of these are due around early february/march, so hunt them down and be prepared. Get to know some professors or rad oncs now so they can write you letters as well.

You'd be surprised at how few people apply to these programs. However, they are very competitive because all the applicants are highly qualified.