Rad Onc Twitter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ralph protecting his UChicago lack of good brachy experience?

I'm glad that everything that has been said on SDN for the past 2 years is now being said in the twittersphere, even if it is by senior residents.

yeah I agree. I think it’s very encouraging bc it’s further proof of the good influence SDN has in not creating just sheep

Too many residents and med students are sheep still though...

Members don't see this ad.

I can only applaud Mudit Chowdhary for fighting the good fight. Refreshing to see residents being honest and passionate about the field vs constantly being a yes man/woman

Reactions: 1 user
Would add in this 2 year era of ARRO leadership who have been bold and relentless on social media

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only applaud Mudit Chowdhary for fighting the good fight. Refreshing to see residents being honest and passionate about the field vs constantly being a yes man/woman

I think we on SDN all agree with him on closing more programs

Whatever means necessary on my end lol

"The current United States graduate medical education (GME) radiation oncology curriculum lacks clarity and focus. This is evidenced by the fact that radiation oncology residents and educators are struggling to determine what content they need to study and teach, respectively. Currently available materials from the American Board of Radiology (ABR), Accreditation Committee for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), and American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) provide limited guidance on the content to include in clinical training programs. Residents rely on vague ABR study guides to provide guidance on what to study. However, specialty certifying exams, as summative assessment tools, should be the final step in a holistic curriculum development process, not the driving force of a curriculum. These exams should be developed to assess knowledge gained through participating in a constantly renewed training curriculum. Currently, United States GME radiation oncology curriculum development is a case of the tail wagging the dog with United States radiation oncology residency programs and residents using ABR exams to piece together a curriculum. This commentary discusses two examples of how, without proactive curriculum development, the United States GME radiation oncology curriculum is susceptible to errant changes and then suggests a path forward to ensure a national GME radiation oncology curriculum drives ABR exam content, rather than the other way around."

Nice commentary

Reactions: 1 users

"The current United States graduate medical education (GME) radiation oncology curriculum lacks clarity and focus. This is evidenced by the fact that radiation oncology residents and educators are struggling to determine what content they need to study and teach, respectively. Currently available materials from the American Board of Radiology (ABR), Accreditation Committee for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), and American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) provide limited guidance on the content to include in clinical training programs. Residents rely on vague ABR study guides to provide guidance on what to study. However, specialty certifying exams, as summative assessment tools, should be the final step in a holistic curriculum development process, not the driving force of a curriculum. These exams should be developed to assess knowledge gained through participating in a constantly renewed training curriculum. Currently, United States GME radiation oncology curriculum development is a case of the tail wagging the dog with United States radiation oncology residency programs and residents using ABR exams to piece together a curriculum. This commentary discusses two examples of how, without proactive curriculum development, the United States GME radiation oncology curriculum is susceptible to errant changes and then suggests a path forward to ensure a national GME radiation oncology curriculum drives ABR exam content, rather than the other way around."

Nice commentary

Maybe take out the Paul Wallner/Kachnic ostrich effect and let some young people that know what they are doing lead the change and we’ll see some results. The older generation that got in was a bunch of misfits and rejects let’s not forget

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe take out the Paul Wallner/Kachnic ostrich effect and let some young people that know what they are doing lead the change and we’ll see some results. The older generation that got in was a bunch of misfits and rejects let’s not forget
btw, who do you think will be matching into this specialty over the next couple years....

• Haha
Shots fired!
3CE2E9B0-1797-405B-ADC6-5E469C0859A8.jpeg

It’s cognitive dissonance on top of maleficence to the field and residents to the benefit of your own department.

The data is clear...no one - not patients and certainly not physicians - need more rad oncs right now...it’s just that your department bottom line and attending “need” them.

Reactions: 4 users
How do you know he doesn’t post ?! True - he doesn’t post under his real name but he could still be here.

Hopefully true!

Nice.

With Olivier and Vapiwala in their respective positions, the gravy train for expansion is over. Programs better come correct. CASE WESTERN LMAO. Worthless place!

and 'The Lannisters send their regards' to any departments thinking of OPENING a new residency program in this climate. Probably only whispers of rumors but hopefully smarter heads prevail at places like Willis Knighton Cancer Center, Penn State, East Carolina, who have been mentioned in the past as having interest in opening a program. They will get smacked down so hard they'll be back in the 2D era.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm glad to see there are other optimists out there. Since I'm a glass half-full kind of guy, maybe instead of projected weak candidates, we actually get really motivated med students who want to do rad onc despite the present logistical and financial disincentives. It wouldn't be all that different than somebody who really wants to do something like peds onc, where the pay is way less with probably equal or worse geographic restrictions.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm glad to see there are other optimists out there. Since I'm a glass half-full kind of guy, maybe instead of projected weak candidates, we actually get really motivated med students who want to do rad onc despite the present logistical and financial disincentives. It wouldn't be all that different than somebody who really wants to do something like peds onc, where the pay is way less with probably equal or worse geographic restrictions.
Sure, optimism is great, but don’t discount possibility that docs could be unemployed.

Hard to meaningfully change the world when you're worried about your next paycheck.

I can see academic satellites significantly contracting their MD compliment. If you have three academic satellites treating 15 patients apiece, you really only need one doc to cover.

How exciting indeed!

I can see academic satellites significantly contracting their MD compliment. If you have three academic satellites treating 15 patients apiece, you really only need one doc to cover.

How exciting indeed!

agreee. Docs will be screwed

but hyun Kim won’t have to be doc of day anymore so he’s excited

• Haha
Ultimately likely that will be true, but for now freestanding centers still need doc, but that doc does not have to be a radonc. Really hope that any unfortunate ms conned into radonc by Astro leadership let the Bks and PHs know what they think of them in 5yrs.

How exciting indeed!
His chairman is really ecstatic. Didn’t he justify residency expansion as a means to reduce faculty salaries?

I don’t see the Astro document. Can someone supply link please

Jobs posted for Chicago and Irvine, CA today on ASTRO site

What’s the deal with the Irvine PRivate center job?

Jobs posted for Chicago and Irvine, CA today on ASTRO site

What’s the deal with the Irvine PRivate center job?

it’s posted literally every year. Wonder if anyone has taken it and what happened I think I recall someone did and got run out of their by this guy Tokita who seems to be a massive piece of work. There is no regulation so people like him can manipulate things any which way they please

it’s posted literally every year. Wonder if anyone has taken it and what happened I think I recall someone did and got run out of their by this guy Tokita who seems to be a massive piece of work. There is no regulation so people like him can manipulate things any which way they please
Probably can get someone from good program who needs to be in that area and offer next to nothing and yearly supply of ky. Heard that he constantly screams at the new hires to “choose wisely.”

Last edited:
  • Haha

I've only been following the job board for about 5-6 years now and it's there every year. Have obviously read the opinions on here. I'm intrigued from a social perspective and would like to interview just to meet this person.

I've only been following the job board for about 5-6 years now and it's there every year. Have obviously read the opinions on here. I'm intrigued from a social perspective and would like to interview just to meet this person.

I did a video chat w them a couple years ago. Dude was making it like social hour, seems to get off on talking to residents. I don’t remember the specifics about partnership probably just blowing a bunch of smoke looking for a sucker that will suck up and then pull the rug out from them later. Never heard back from him

Can anyone screenshot the Dennis Hallahan quote from the Red Journal about needing to increase resident complement to decrease academic salaries? I am not an ASTRO member so can't get to the digital content.

To the Editor: Although Dr Shah has been a member of the faculty at Washington University, his opinion expressed in “Expanding the number of trainees in radiation oncology: has the pendulum swung too far?” (1) is not the opinion of this institution. Our opinion is that there is a growing need for radiation oncologists in the United States. More importantly, there is a need for new training programs in the midwest and south. The demand for radiation oncologists has outpaced the supply. This shortfall of radiation oncologists is especially problematic in the midwestern and southern regions of the United States. As an example, the state of Missouri has only one training program. This shortage has, in part, resulted in an increase in salaries for radiation oncologists in academic programs, as demonstrated by the Association of American Medical Colleges faculty salary survey report (2). To address the growing need for radiation oncologists, Washington University (Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology and Siteman Cancer Center) has applied for an increase in our number of residents. We are also actively collaborating with Saint Louis University to initiate a residency in radiation oncology.

• Haha

This is absolutely ridiculous and is actually not data driven.

I'm planning to make an entirely separate post about this (once my regular job stops demanding so much of my time), but the RAND Corporation report from 2013 studies this. Basically, they found (per MGMA data) that the ratio of academic attending to private practice billing is virtually the same in Radiation Oncology:

1 - Copy.png

Obviously, Hallahan was correct about the salary...also discussed in the report:

2 - Copy.png

But, to imply that salaries are higher in academics because of "low supply" while RVUs are similar between academic and private practices is just ludicrous. The increased salaries were/are one of the ways academic programs were forced to compete.

As academic satellites expand and private practices decrease (not to mention decreased reimbursement via APM), salaries will also decrease.

Fret not, Dr Hallahan.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
That rebuttal was always the smoking gun. If some investigative journalist cared and wanted to make several FOIA requests of publicly employed academic chair people, I'd bet one could find some correspondence that would demonstrate collusion in an attempt to wage fix. This is of course criminal activity, punishable by jail time.

That rebuttal was always the smoking gun. If some investigative journalist cared and wanted to make several FOIA requests of publicly employed academic chair people, I'd bet one could find some correspondence that would demonstrate collusion in an attempt to wage fix. This is of course criminal activity, punishable by jail time.
doubt it is a criminal offense, but would hope that those medstudents who were misled by the likes of chairs and astro leaders will turn around someday and vocally express their displeasure to these guys.

I believe, more accurately, it would fall in the realm of "anti-trust"...

I believe, more accurately, it would fall in the realm of "anti-trust"...
Correct. Wage-fixing as non-competitive practice falls under antitrust law. My very brief, non-JD informed review of the topic did yield that it can be prosecuted as criminal.

As much as I want to join in the Trump bashing, I hope you guys realize evilbooyaa will delete all this and/or hand out warnings...

• Haha
  • Love
Does anybody know the actual approximate lump sum payment on these transactions?

There is obviously a very big difference between something I would personally accept like $900,000 today in exchange for $1,000,000 upon death (the date of which is obviously variable even for the most extreme diagnoses like GBM or stage IV NSCLC) vs something disgustingly predatory like $50,000 up front for $1,000,000.

I vaguely recall reading about these types of policies many years ago but thought they were banned or at least heavily regulated. I can definitely now patient has ever brought it up, ever. . .

As much as I want to join in the Trump bashing, I hope you guys realize evilbooyaa will delete all this and/or hand out warnings...

It's my turn today. No political discussions and no personal attacks please.

Please use the report button rather than posting memes or getting drawn into the argument. This is intended to be a professional forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Neuronix has taken care of the culling already, but those of you involved all need better things to do with your life on weekends than to discuss politics on a forum that is not meant for politics. I'm glad I didn't see it first because I probably would've just banned everybody with any history of political discussion off the bat.

Going forward, post holds and bans for repeat offenders will be handed out much more liberally for political discussion.

Parasite won. No ban can hurt us.
SDN kinda like the man in radiation oncology's basement, sneaking and stealing food from fridge, sending out inscrutable Morse code to rest of world...

SDN kinda like the man in radiation oncology's basement, sneaking and stealing food from fridge, sending out inscrutable Morse code to rest of world...

You’re gonna spoil it for people who haven’t seen it, Scarbs!!

• Haha