Radiation Exposure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schooner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a number of procedures in ortho where the flouro is used extensively. How much training to ortho docs receive in radiation safety? How much radiation are they exposed to? And is anyone worried about long term consequences of radiation that we're exposed to in ortho?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen a number of procedures in ortho where the flouro is used extensively. How much training to ortho docs receive in radiation safety? How much radiation are they exposed to? And is anyone worried about long term consequences of radiation that we're exposed to in ortho?

:laugh:

i grew a second member, but that may have been a pre-existing condition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen a number of procedures in ortho where the flouro is used extensively. How much training to ortho docs receive in radiation safety?

None.

How much radiation are they exposed to?

It varies depending on the specialty and the surgeon. Some use the c-arm more than others. Trauma tends to use it the most throughout procedures, with some adult reconstruction types almost never using intra-op films. Even the trauma guys, they don't get as much as you may think because most of what they take are single shots, as opposed to fluoro which emits much more radiation. Overall, they are being exposed to much much less than either interventional radiologists or cadiologists who use extensive flouro during their procedures.

And is anyone worried about long term consequences of radiation that we're exposed to in ortho?

If you are smart about it, it's not much of a concern. Just stay out of the direct path of the beam, wear lead and a thyroid shield. Every foot that you are away from the beam the amount of radiation drops off exponentially.

There is some literature that addresses this. for each piece of shielding you wear (lead, thyroid shield and leaded glasses) you increase your yearly safe dose by a factor of 1, 2, or 3 respectively. I think my math may be suspect but i read that the yearly safe limit is in the tens of hours of fluoro exposure where most cases are under 20 seconds since it is single spot image.