Radiation-induced tumors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruce Banner

Truth is Absolute
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone out there give me some info on the amount of radiation it takes to induce a tumor? As an intern I've gotten hassled several times by the radiologists for CT scans they don't deem necessary. Their excuse is that an unwarranted scan will increase the risk of cancer in the future.

In one way I can see how a scan increases the RISK of radiation-induce cancer (just as stepping outside your front door increases the RISK of getting hit by lightning). However, from what I remember, radiation treatments are several 1000 times the dose any CT will deliver and the risk of us inducing a cancer is pretty low (<1% ?).

So are the radiologist full of it or what?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends who you ask. Patient characteristics also matter. Remember, radiation carcinogenesis is a stochastic (random) effect; therefore, there is no lower threshold below which no risk exists. There is also a dose-volume effect (thus a whole body CT would be worse than a CXR, but that doesn't mean the CXR carries no risk). See this article for a worst case scenario:

DJ Brenner, EJ Hall, Computed tomography - An increasing source of radiation exposure. NEJM 357:2277-2284 (2007).

I've included a link below, but I can't remember if I have automatic login for NEJM turned on. If you can't follow it, see if your library offers full text access to NEJM (most med libraries do).

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/22/2277

Remember, radiation carcinogenesis is a stochastic (random) effect; therefore, there is no lower threshold below which no risk exists.

If you assume that the body doesn't have any repair mechanisms for DNA or systems to 'purge' damaged cells.

There is also a dose-volume effect (thus a whole body CT would be worse than a CXR, but that doesn't mean the CXR carries no risk).

That is why elephants often die from cancer and mice don't.

In reality, we don't know how high or low the risk of carcinogenesis from diagnostic imaging studies is. All the data we use to predict the effects is downward extrapolated from much higher doses that we know to cause cancer.
It all comes down to whether you subscribe to the LNT (linear no threshold) theory or whether you assume that all life-forms have adapted to the radiation infested world that a planet containing naturally unstable isotopes hurtling through a universe full of charged particles represents.

If you make a linear extrapolation from those higher doses, you will arrive at numbers in the 1:5000 range for the creation of solid tumors based on a CT scan (in the same model, moving to Denver will kill ya).

As long as we don't know how good or bad radiation is for us, it is probably prudent to think before we do any imaging studies and to do them in the least radiation intensive way.

Members don't see this ad :)
The issue raised by Brenner et al concerns the general "committed dose" to the population by CT scanners. The NEJM article contains significant estimates/extrapolations on population radiation doses from increasing uses of CT scanners, and in particular the "screening" use of whole body scans without apparent medical indications which are becoming increasingly popular in free standing centers.

The AAPM (American Assoc. Physicists in Medicine), published a response to the NEJM article here: http://www.aapm.org/announcements/CTScans.asp

Concerning the radiobiology of the concerns, as we know radiation induced carcinogenesis does exist, but the risk v. exposure is uncertain and variable depending on many factors.

The Linear-No Threshold dose concept is a radiation protection and safety concept which assumes that there is no safe level of radiation exposure which would not cause an increased risk, which is the premise of Brenner's article. This is the regulatory environment in which we live and work.

We do know that there is an apparent threshold from both radiobiology and empircally. That this threshold does exist, can be demonstrated by the lack of differences in cancer in persons living at high altitude and those living at sea level. This is also a more or less continuous chronic dose, rather than a "burst" dose such as from a CT scanner.

A typical CT scan on modern equipment delivers a dose of around 15-20 mSv. So, repeated scans can add up over time, and unnecessary scans increase the population committed dose and that has a statistical probability of increasing the population rate of cancer.

This must be offset by the underlying medical question to be answered by the ordering of the CT scan.

For radiotherapy purposes, I go nuts everytime a tech or physicist whines when I order an extra set of scouts or a respiratory gating sequence when doing a planning CT. We are maybe giving an extra 30 mSv of radiation (or 0.03 Sv) to a patient we are planning to give 66-80 Gy which will increase their dose to 66.03 Sv at completion of treatment.

Of course I could go down and spend 30 mSv on the fluoro and give about the same dose while assessing tumor motion...and not hear a single breath of worry about that dose.

The risk, though small does exist. Every medical imaging procedure involving x-rays/ionizing radiation) should have a solid medical indication and question to be answered in order to keep the population and individual doses to as low as reasonably achievable (ALARA).

Can anyone out there give me some info on the amount of radiation it takes to induce a tumor? As an intern I've gotten hassled several times by the radiologists for CT scans they don't deem necessary. Their excuse is that an unwarranted scan will increase the risk of cancer in the future.

In one way I can see how a scan increases the RISK of radiation-induce cancer (just as stepping outside your front door increases the RISK of getting hit by lightning). However, from what I remember, radiation treatments are several 1000 times the dose any CT will deliver and the risk of us inducing a cancer is pretty low (<1% ?).

So are the radiologist full of it or what?
Not exactly. They do have a point, but consider the typical CT dose in terms your patients can understand. The typical CT dose is around 15-20 mSv, which is a meaningless number to the general public. In theory, this dose will increase the risk of dying from radiation induced cancer roughly the same as driving a car 12,000 miles in a year, which is something most people can understand.