Radiation Oncology: Could anyone tell me more about this specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shmerndawg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am going to be going to medical school next year and find radiation oncology to be very interesting. Right now I am working in research and am finding it enjoyable. I know a radiation oncologist who integrates basic science research into his practice at the City of Hope Cancer Center. He does normal radiation therapy and then targeted radioimmunotherapy, in which he designs radioactive antibodies specific to different cancer cells and develops his own treatments through basic scientific research. This sounds awesome to me, and I have read up some about radiation oncology but would like to learn more. Can one rotate through this specialty in medical school? Could anyone offer up a helping hand?

Members don't see this ad.

Look and post under the Rad-Onc Board towards the bottom of the forum listing. There is a good FAQ that would answer most of your questions.

I second this - definitely check out the radiation oncology forum on SDN. Hopefully your school has a rad onc department - if you are interested at all, you should start shadowing and getting involved in research projects EARLY.

Good luck -

rad onc is an awesome specialty that is also incredibly competitive to match into. you should spend time talking to radiation oncologist that you already know, check out the radonc forum, and focus on getting excellent grades in med school. try to do a few research projects in radiation oncology, and get to know the attendings at your med school very early on to establish contacts and foster a good relationship with them. good luck.