Radiation oncology vs. radiation medicine

Started by DrProtonX
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrProtonX

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve noticed some programs (UCSD, OHSU, MUSC, UK, Roswell etc) have changed their department’s name from radiation oncology to radiation medicine. Am I the only one who’s absolutely not a fan of this change?
While I understand the attempt to broaden the utilization of radiation therapy, cancer is still over 95% of what we treat. Maybe i’m a bit old school, but I believe it’s vital for patients to know that they’re being seen and treated by an ‘oncologist’ for their cancer treatment and we shouldn’t strip that status from ourselves. We aren’t some technician that deliver radiation whenever med onc or surgeon send a patient “to get radiation”!
I don’t know maybe i’m overthinking this, it’s just irks me whenever I see department of “radiation medicine” instead of “radiation oncology”. Sorry for the rant!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this gets back to the idea that you RT is at the cross roads. The oncology part of radiation is getting smaller not larger and your left with radiation.
 
1723908181253.png
 
I strongly agree with being called an oncologist and it seems the board also agrees which has me checking my email looking for the big announcement about ASTRO changing name to ASTRM
 
I strongly agree with being called an oncologist and it seems the board also agrees which has me checking my email looking for the big announcement about ASTRO changing name to ASTRM
In the community it makes plenty of sense if you want to build a successful practice as an independent practitioner.

Why would anyone send you a cancer case first if you're not a damn "oncologist"?
 
I’ve noticed some programs (UCSD, OHSU, MUSC, UK, Roswell etc) have changed their department’s name from radiation oncology to radiation medicine. Am I the only one who’s absolutely not a fan of this change?
While I understand the attempt to broaden the utilization of radiation therapy, cancer is still over 95% of what we treat. Maybe i’m a bit old school, but I believe it’s vital for patients to know that they’re being seen and treated by an ‘oncologist’ for their cancer treatment and we shouldn’t strip that status from ourselves. We aren’t some technician that deliver radiation whenever med onc or surgeon send a patient “to get radiation”!
I don’t know maybe i’m overthinking this, it’s just irks me whenever I see department of “radiation medicine” instead of “radiation oncology”. Sorry for the rant!
I don't mind it, but I would prefer the "Dept of Radiation Surgery," given how much 1 to 5 fraction I'm doing these days. We really are becoming more of an alternative to the OR than the internist. Even when using low doses for arthritis, it's usually a knee replacement that the patient is trying to avoid.
 
I’ve noticed some programs (UCSD, OHSU, MUSC, UK, Roswell etc) have changed their department’s name from radiation oncology to radiation medicine. Am I the only one who’s absolutely not a fan of this change?
While I understand the attempt to broaden the utilization of radiation therapy, cancer is still over 95% of what we treat. Maybe i’m a bit old school, but I believe it’s vital for patients to know that they’re being seen and treated by an ‘oncologist’ for their cancer treatment and we shouldn’t strip that status from ourselves. We aren’t some technician that deliver radiation whenever med onc or surgeon send a patient “to get radiation”!
I don’t know maybe i’m overthinking this, it’s just irks me whenever I see department of “radiation medicine” instead of “radiation oncology”. Sorry for the rant!
UCSD changed the name 14 years ago, kind of old news to notice by now…