Radiation plus immunotherapy research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vokey588

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The data about the abscopal response presented in the plenary session of ASTRO was pretty exciting. I'm applying to radiation oncology and am interested in getting involved in this type of research down the line, but in the clinical setting. I looked through the open trials of ipilimumab and radiation (basically trying to stimulate an abscopal response in melanoma and lung cancer) and most of the trials were run by rad oncs, but a couple PIs were med oncs. Do you all see rad oncs continuing to lead the way with this type of research, or is there a good possibility med oncs might co-opt it? It would be awesome if radiation oncologists could be considered the primary treating physician for this kind of systemic therapy if it pans out in trials.

Members don't see this ad.

That's complicated. Any of these trials will have both med and rad onc. You can't have abscopal without radiation. At the same time, you won't find many metastatic patients not on systemic therapy. In most instances I expect there should be rad and med onc PIs on the protocol. Get used to sharing. Ultimately, it's probobly better for the patient anyway. It's a very exciting field and I will say again there is no abscopal without radiation. If it interests you go for it.