Radiologist with a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluffyone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Can someone get into a radiology residency and become a radiologist with a DO degree or do they need a MD?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

DOs can and do practice in all fields of medicine and surgery.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They can't if they don't develop the knowledge of how to work the search function in these fora.
@Max98
Watch out for the horns next time, OP - cos you just got GORO'ed

Reactions: 7 users
You mean DO's are considered Physicians? Crap... Sorry for all of the questions guys. Thought I was gonna become a unique chiropractor. But in all seriousness OP, yes. As crazy as it sounds, every hospital I shadow at I somehow end up with the DO that became a vascular surgeon, orthopod, etc... My best friend's dad is a radiologist and he is a DO. It's possible!

Sorry if I offended anyone with the question. I asked because someone told me that most DO's are primary care physicians so I wasnt sure if radiologists are able to get matched with alot of residencies with a DO degree. Thanks for all the responses.

Sorry if I offended anyone with the question. I asked because someone told me that most DO's are primary care physicians so I wasnt sure if radiologists are able to get matched with alot of residencies with a DO degree. Thanks for all the responses.

Haha no offense my friend :) I am just a sarcastic person. Your friend is correct about most DO's being primary care physicians though. But it is possible to match into any residency. For example, the school I am applying to graduated a DO student that matched into a top neurosurgery program (I can't remember which program). Yet again, I'm only a lowely pre-med, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

In 2017, of the 2933 DOs that matched an ACGME residency 115 matched radiology. In comparison, 740 out of 17480 US MD seniors matched radiology. Both are about 4%. Being a DO is fine for most things except for the surgical subspecialties (urology, ENT, etc.) derm, and rad/onc.

Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

Last edited:

No offense taken my man. Now assume the anatomical position, face Kirksville MO and repeat 3x: "to heck with somatic dysfunction"

Reactions: 1 user