1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

radiology at PCOM

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by applicant2002, May 6, 2004.

1. applicant2002

applicant2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

those who have done a radiology rotation at PCOM, please share your experiences.
    specifically, how much do you learn, and is it hospital based. when I looked on pcom's website, it said under hospital that it was done at PCOM's campus :confused:

thanks for your help. :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BigPimpin

BigPimpin Member
    7+ Year Member

AND, in addition to the original poster's request, I am just going to come right out and be blunt and ask that you PCOM radiology people give us some indication of your board percentiles. I know, that's kind of a forward request -- but a few months ago I had a radiology rotation, totally fell in love with it, but I fear I might not have the boards and rank to get a match in it.

Thank you in advance!

BP

4. colforbinMD

colforbinMD "Thanks, I'm very funny"
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Radiology taught by a gifted and talented radiologist AND Burt and Earnie and Elmo and the Monkey in his pocket!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :p :laugh:
    Just warm up your singing voice!

5. applicant2002

10+ Year Member

so is it lecture based?
    is there any "hospital experience"

also, what exactly does hospital based radiology mean, cause that would mean your exposure to films is dependent on the patients who happen to be in the hospital in what time interval your radiology rotation is?

how big is the class?
    how long is it (3 weeks is what i've heard)

thanks for all your help.

6. applicant2002

10+ Year Member

oh-and how are you graded

does it depend on singing?

7. lh2004

lh2004 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am a 4th year at PCOM, and I took the PCOM radiology rotation last year (it is a required rotation for all PCOM students). The rotation is 3 weeks long, and is Mon-Fri 8 am till about 3 pm. It is all classroom-based, no hospital experience. It is taught by Dr. Meals, who is a great teacher and makes the class incredibly fun. In the morning you'll have a quiz on the reading from the night before. Then he will teach for an hour or so and then later you will break up into smaller groups to go over films. After that a few students each day will present different topics for about 10 minutes each. At the end of the day you will take another quiz on films that Dr. Meals puts up in the back of the room, but you can work on this with other students. The class is very interactive and you will be called on to go up front and read films both individually and in small groups. It's a fun atmosphere, though, with lots of singing, karaoke, etc. Dr. Meals is known for his fun teaching style and the rotation is a favorite amongst PCOM students. There are usually about 20-25 students in the class, and your rotation grade (honors, pass, fail) comes primarily from the end of the day quiz grades. Hope this helps.

8. applicant2002

10+ Year Member

thanks a million for your information :)