Radiology exam for dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TORY1026

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am thinking about taking the radiology exam to get basic X-ray machine operator license.
I learned about this when I used to work as a dental assistant and thought it might help my application for dental schools.
Also, I heard all the dental students get this license at some point during dental school. If I get my license now, do I not have to worry about it later?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dental school wont care if you have a radiology license. you get a license when you get a dental license.

From what I understand, having/not having licenses doesn’t really matter to schools. What they care about is your experiences. So, if you’re not certified in dental radiology but you spend every Friday volunteering at your local low cost clinic and doing as much as you can even without taking xrays, you’ll be more competitive than someone who paid for a certification just to list it on their app but didn’t gain any more experience than you. Also, if you’re truly talking about a license to take general xrays, I really don’t think that will provide much value at all. You are better off with dental radiology so you can use it in the dental field rather than a medical office.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a current x-ray license that is registered with the state dental board. I was a dental assistant for years, and I've taken hundreds of radiographs, but I still had to take all the radiology classes. I'm a second year and still haven't taken a radiograph on a real patient, only a dxttr. So don't waste you're money.

Hi guys,
I am thinking about taking the radiology exam to get basic X-ray machine operator license.
I learned about this when I used to work as a dental assistant and thought it might help my application for dental schools.
Also, I heard all the dental students get this license at some point during dental school. If I get my license now, do I not have to worry about it later?

Thanks!

Probably won't make a dent on your application.