Radiology right off the bat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctortobee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

Is it a wise idea or not to have radiology as my 2nd rotation (with psych being first)....IM would be next, surgery last

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, that looks like my MS3 schedule.

I started with psych, rads, peds, IM, cards, ob/gyn, surgery. I thought that rads helped out when I was asked to read films in medicine and surgery.

Actually I'm doing psych, elective, 3 months IM, ob, peds, FP, elective (ortho), surgery x2, selective, and then vacation

Members don't see this ad :)
I think having rads early is great...you will be able to look at films in medicine and surgery and make some sense of 'em. Didn't have the chance to do rads until 4th year and i think it would have been very benefical in many of the other core rotations. good luck.

Having rads early will be helpful, particularly for med, surgery and em. Just be sure to develop a systematic approach to reading films and interpret as many as you can before you read the radiologist's report.

Have fun.

I'm starting out with 4 weeks of Rads as well, then 12 weeks of IM. I came across this site a while ago http://www.learningradiology.com/index.htm seems pretty good. Does anyone have book suggestions for someone who wants to be proficient at reading films, MRI's & CTs, but doens't want to go into Rads?

Green912 said:
I'm starting out with 4 weeks of Rads as well, then 12 weeks of IM. I came across this site a while ago http://www.learningradiology.com/index.htm seems pretty good. Does anyone have book suggestions for someone who wants to be proficient at reading films, MRI's & CTs, but doens't want to go into Rads?

I thought reading Blueprints Rads was a good place to start. Also go through some films with folks with an interest/experience in rads, making a concerted effort to develop a systematic approach to interpreting films. Practice as much as you can by reading films solo, then reading the radiologist's report.

Good luck.