RadOncQuestions.com

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spacekat

fictitious
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was sent an unsolicited email about a service called RadOncQuestions.com - review for board/inservice study.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Was it any good? How much did it cost?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Got the same email here as did all the residents in our department. One of my co-residents signed up for the free trial and seemed to think the questions we OK quality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the same email here as did all the residents in our department. One of my co-residents signed up for the free trial and seemed to think the questions we OK quality.

Thanks. I've been using the Hristov book but would love to find a computer-based q bank for the drudgery memorization like staging and was hoping this would fit the bill.

As one of the senior editors and founders of RadOncQuestions.com, I feel obligated to jump in here. The primary reason we developed this resource was to allow for a more interactive, dynamic, and fluid question-based educational format than the traditional book format. We would have loved to make this a free resource, but websites with reasonable functionality cost money to maintain. We considered several options when starting out and eventually decided to collaborate with OphthoQuestions.com to build a web-based radiation oncology MCQ resource.

I want to make it clear that:
1) We are in no way affiliated with the ACR or ABR
2) No recall or exam materials (ACR or ABR) were/will be used to develop our content
We are open to any feedback or suggestions for additional questions, content, or features that website users might find useful.

Feel free to PM me with questions or comments.

-Dan

I got the same message, haven't had an opportunity to check it out. Thanks Dan for the explanation.

This learning forum isn't unique. SDN is fantastic but there are other forums like Chartrounds.com and themednet.org that are signs that more of us are looking to share and interact. More options are likely to proliferate.

In my opinion, we should also look to do so with a broader community beyond professionals. I've found my experience with Twitter very rewarding. ASCO and oncology are ahead of ASTRO/radiation oncology in engaging the general public.

I am a PGY5 preparing for boards and was, for once in my life, happy to see this unsolicited e-mail. I am currently in the 7 day trial and I have to say so far that I am likely going to sign up. The questions are nicely mixed between anatomy, staging, and evidence and the explanations are extremely detailed. I used QBank to prepare for step I and this follows many of the same design: the site allows you to modify exams based on primary site, allows you to select previously untested questions vs previously missed etc.

I am pleased that practicing physicians are responsible for writing some of the questions. I am concerned when board review questions are primarily written by residents who haven't taken the written clinical boards yet. I would like to see the site continually grow with more questions added to each section on a monthly basis.

I am also a PGY-5 and have done ~200 of the questions. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the interface, the questions themselves, and the in depth descriptions. There are primary references for many of the questions, with the study in question hyperlinked to the pubmed reference. A nice online qbank is a great study tool for when you are stalled out and need to be spoon fed some information in nice palatable bites. My SPAMmeter definitely blew up when I saw the email, but it seems legit, unless they have strategically given me their best 200 questions first...

I was sent an unsolicited email about a service called RadOncQuestions.com - review for board/inservice study.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Was it any good? How much did it cost?

I looked at some of the questions and it looked pretty good. Anyone have a discount coupon they could give me via PM?

I did the 7 day free trial and liked it pretty well. There was an offer but no pushiness afterward to start a paying subscription.
I did about 500 questions before I lost access and thought they were good. There is a tutor mode, if you wish, that gives the answer right away. Answers are detailed and meticulously cite literature with a clickable PMID link to the paper.
The thing I liked least was that you could not reset your questions except on some as-yet-to-be-determined multi-month interval because they want to prevent people from sharing subscriptions. This means that if you guess a question correctly you can't keep it in the pool of questions to see again. Questions were also not sortable into basic and more difficult so that you could, for example, just study staging without getting bogged down in detailed treatment questions.
Overall I think this would be a good value for people in the final phases of studying for boards, or for more senior residents preparing for an inservice at programs where they actually care about inservice scores. For earlier residents it may not be worth the money yet.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. We are continuing to work to improve the site. For example, we removed the "residency scoreboard" feature to alleviate concerns about performance of programs being used as a metric for the infamous SDN "top programs" thread. ;)
The thing I liked least was that you could not reset your questions except on some as-yet-to-be-determined multi-month interval because they want to prevent people from sharing subscriptions. This means that if you guess a question correctly you can't keep it in the pool of questions to see again. Questions were also not sortable into basic and more difficult so that you could, for example, just study staging without getting bogged down in detailed treatment questions.
I'd like to clarify the database reset policy per Spacekat's comment. To maintain the fidelity of the peer-to-peer comparisons, and to prevent subscription sharing as Spacekat astutely points out, each question can be used once in a test per cycle through the question bank. You are allowed to review all of your old tests, but correctly answered questions will not show up in new tests until your database is reset. Users get a free database reset after written boards in July, in January in preparation for the in-service exam, and one additional time throughout the year at the user's discretion. Therefore, 6-month users will receive approximately two database resets and 12-month users will receive 3 free database resets. Additional database resets can be purchased for $49.99. We would love to provide this service for free, but there are costs to maintaining a functional and high quality question bank.

We are looking forward to building out the questions further. We plan to add a large pool of image-based questions by the beginning of the next academic year.
Feel free to contact me with any further questions or comments.