Rads vs Derm vs Plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCalRULES!!!!!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's see those are the three biggies in terms of salaries. Plastics obviously has the worst of the residencies, but once you are done its lifestyle isn't so bad and certainly not as bad as a general surgeon's.

The one disadvantage that rads has is that most of the services provided are indicated and not elective. No one gets a MRI for the hell of it, but the far majority of community derm and plastics is elective which means they pay with credit card on the spot. Rads is beholden to stupid ass medicare and HMOs. It is too bad we can't go back to the fee for service system of the 70s/80s. Basic healthcare, vaccines and stuff, should be provided for all but advanced medicine and imaging employed by radiologists should only be used for those that can afford it, just like derm and plastics. "you want an MRI for your jacked up middleaged knee? will you better pay me top dollar to read it".

You can make a killing in all of them the big difference is that you make the worst money in rads in a place like LA while a derm or plastics person makes the most.

The best places for a plastic surgeon and derm person to practice are the US's two urban jewels NY and LA, followed by Miami and SF, and the worst would be the midwest and praire. Rads on the other hands tend to make a killing in the praire and do the worst in the urban megalopolis of LA.

All three fields attract the brightest minds in medical school, but there are a few differences.

Members don't see this ad.

funny how not once do you mention how different the nature of the work is for these fields.

but of course, who cares about that right? ;)

That's true, but let's face it, anyone can learn to like anything. I don't believe a pediatrcian would be miserable in radiology. All fields have their boring parts and their exciting parts.

But these are the fields that draw the best of the best from medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
what's your point?

SoCalRULES!!!!! said:
Let's see those are the three biggies in terms of salaries.

"you want an MRI for your jacked up middleaged knee? will you better pay me top dollar to read it".

You can make a killing in all of them...

The best places for a plastic surgeon and derm person to practice are the US's two urban jewels NY and LA, followed by Miami and SF, and the worst would be the midwest and praire. Rads on the other hands tend to make a killing in the praire and do the worst in the urban megalopolis of LA.

Wow! Sounds like you've got it all figured out. :idea:

SoCalRULES!!!!! said:
All three fields attract the brightest minds in medical school, but there are a few differences.

I guess you'll never be a radiologist, dermatologist or plastic surgeon. :smuggrin:

hans19 said:
Wow! Sounds like you've got it all figured out. :idea:

I guess you'll never be a radiologist, dermatologist or plastic surgeon. :smuggrin:

Good one! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

How bright are people who can not even spell simple words such as praire (sic)?

hey socal go bother some other discussion board. you're not only annoying and wrong, but you're giving the rest of us real radiologists a bad name.