Medical Raffle Items: 5 Books - Winner's Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MedEdits Medical Admissions is giving away 5 books.

Winners can choose one of the following three books:

1) The MedEdits Guide to Medical School Admissions

Dr. Jessica Freedman, a former Mount Sinai School of Medicine faculty member, offers concrete guidance to help applicants distinguish themselves in the medical school admissions process. Read full personal statements and applications by students who were accepted to medical school! This book includes examples of application entries, “most meaningful” experiences, personal statements, secondary essays, and letters of intent.

This easy to read and up to date guide offers realistic advice for applicants on many topics including:

-Where to go to college if you are premed
-When to take the MCAT
-Whom to ask for letters of reference
-How to write a personal statement
-How to write application experience entries
-How to write “most meaningful” experience application entries
-What medical schools look for in applicants
-What applicants can do to market themselves most effectively
-How medical school admissions committees decide whom to interview
-What to do if you are “waitlisted”
-Deciding where to apply and attend

2) The Medical School Interview

Based on her experience as an admissions officer and as a private advisor, Dr. Freedman provides guidance on what to expect on interview day, how to influence what is discussed during your interview and what you can do to ensure a stellar interview performance. She also writes about what goes on “behind the scenes” after your interview and provides a transcript for a sample interview.

The Medical School Interview includes:

-What you must do to prepare
-What the interviewer is trying to assess
-How to influence the course of your interview
-The different types of interviewers and how this impacts your experience
-How you are evaluated
-What happens at the admission committee meeting after you leave
-A sample interview with questions and answers

3) The Residency Interview

These words make every applicant nervous. This MedEdits guide provides applicants with insight about the residency interview process as well as a general framework to dramatically improve their confidence on interview day. This book is based on Dr. Jessica Freedman's experience in residency admissions while on faculty at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City and her observations while privately advising residency applicants with MedEdits (www.MedEdits.com).

Get practical advice on:
- How to prepare for your interview
- What to expect on interview day
-The different types of interviewers
- What information you must convey during your interview
- How to structure your answers and direct your interview
- What to wear, how to behave on tours, lunches, "night be- fore" gatherings and many other topics

Members don't see this ad.

This product looks great! Did Dr. Freedman serve on the admissions board at Mt.Sinai, or was she just an associated faculty member? I ask because adcoms from different schools may look for slightly different things in an application since I will be applying to mainly public state schools (different environment from that of Mt.Sinai).

Thank you for doing this. Navigating through applications is tough and any bit of feedback from a professional help!

Unfortunately many med schools seem to do a poor job in preparing med students for residency interviews. Something like this would be very helpful for interview season.

Members don't see this ad :)
this seems like a very useful tool for premeds. I would definitely be interested in receiving this.

How do I sign up for a raffle?

Does your interview book discuss MMI interviews? Thank you

I am wondering if topics covered in book #2 (med interview) are covered in book#1 (guide to admissions). interviews are part of admissions right? What is the additional/more detailed info in book #2?

This seems like a tremendous resource. How has your material adapting to the changing pace of interviews (traditional 1 on 1 vs. MMI, etc). Are there extremes of types interviews that are discussed?

I totally agree with you. My school does not prepare pre-med students well. We don't get much support. I think these books would be very helpful

This product looks great! Did Dr. Freedman serve on the admissions board at Mt.Sinai, or was she just an associated faculty member? I ask because adcoms from different schools may look for slightly different things in an application since I will be applying to mainly public state schools (different environment from that of Mt.Sinai).

We have several faculty advisors, including Dr. Freedman, who served on medical school admissions committees. The advice contained in the book will be helpful whether you are applying to public or private medical schools. The book was written based on our experience on admissions committees and what we have learned by working with all different types of applicants with diverse goals. We have helped applicants navigate many unique situations and circumstances.

Unfortunately many med schools seem to do a poor job in preparing med students for residency interviews. Something like this would be very helpful for interview season.

Read our book, The Residency Interview. We also offer residency mock interviews.

I am wondering if topics covered in book #2 (med interview) are covered in book#1 (guide to admissions). interviews are part of admissions right? What is the additional/more detailed info in book #2?

The MedEdits Guide to Medical School Admissions has a brief section on the medical school interview.

The Medical School Interview offers much more information about the medical school interview process.

This seems like a tremendous resource. How has your material adapting to the changing pace of interviews (traditional 1 on 1 vs. MMI, etc). Are there extremes of types interviews that are discussed?

The book focuses on the traditional interview. Can you please clarify what you mean by "extremes of types of interviews?"